You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my Western Digital 2TB WD Passport for Mac, bought Feb3, 2022, compatible with OS Monterey 12.2.1?

Is my Western Digital 2TB WD Passport for Mac, bought Feb3, 2022, compatible with OS Monterey 12.2.1? We used it for our Time Machine, and two others bought a couple of months before February 2022, for the same Time Machine backup. All three have had eject and crash problems. Today we were told at the Genius Bar that the 2TB WD Passport for Mac might be incompatible with OS Monterey 12.2.1. I'm confused because I've been using the same vintage (months old) WD passports for Mac on our second MacBook Air (2019) with OS 12.2.1 without problems as our external Time Machine drive. My question: Can I use my Western Digital 2TB WD Passport for Mac (less than a year old and wiped) with the new 2022 MacBook Air?

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 1:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 6:50 PM

She also said that the time machine could be on the iCloud.

No... Time Machine has never been able to back up to iCloud, or any other "cloud-based" storage system.

I wondered how it can allow me to go into the Time Machine to retrieve a document I mistakenly deleted at in a certain time period.

Only Time Machine offers those capabilities. It's unique in that regard, besides, the TM backup device must be available locally — in other words, not on a server that requires an Internet connection.

iCloud is more of a file storage and syncing service. Unfortunately iOS's "iCloud Backup" has become conflated to some degree with iCloud Drive. Besides, it's not what I would characterize as a real disaster recovery system, whereas Time Machine is all that and more.

Read What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support. Notice it doesn't discuss Macs, other than to direct your attention back to Time Machine.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 23, 2022 6:50 PM in response to gek lee

She also said that the time machine could be on the iCloud.

No... Time Machine has never been able to back up to iCloud, or any other "cloud-based" storage system.

I wondered how it can allow me to go into the Time Machine to retrieve a document I mistakenly deleted at in a certain time period.

Only Time Machine offers those capabilities. It's unique in that regard, besides, the TM backup device must be available locally — in other words, not on a server that requires an Internet connection.

iCloud is more of a file storage and syncing service. Unfortunately iOS's "iCloud Backup" has become conflated to some degree with iCloud Drive. Besides, it's not what I would characterize as a real disaster recovery system, whereas Time Machine is all that and more.

Read What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support. Notice it doesn't discuss Macs, other than to direct your attention back to Time Machine.

Feb 23, 2022 2:53 PM in response to gek lee

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just be sure to format it correctly and do not install any Western Digital "drive utilities" or "managers" or similar things.

Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support

I am not aware of any drives that will not work with Time Machine. Try a different USB cable, assuming all the problems were using the same cable, or cables from the same manufacturer.

Feb 23, 2022 5:24 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you, John. I suspected the advisor wasn't correct. She also said that the time machine could be on the iCloud. I know the iCloud can back up data like pictures, files, folders, etc. but I wondered how it can allow me to go into the Time Machine to retrieve a document I mistakenly deleted at in a certain time period.

Is my Western Digital 2TB WD Passport for Mac, bought Feb3, 2022, compatible with OS Monterey 12.2.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.