You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac connecting to internet, but no wifi

Hi! I’ve had my MacBook Air for over 3 years now and it’s quite old. Yesterday I got it back from the repair shop and the battery had been disconnected and reconnected. Before then, it never connected to internet despite the same internet working for every other device, but I only used it for school so I just used my hotspot when I needed internet. However, today, I just got it back and connected it to my hotspot as normal but it refuses to work at all now. It opens youtube and Twitter and all that but all the sites just say that I need to connect to the internet, they don’t even load or attempt to connect, as if I had my wifi turned off altogether. It connected briefly to my home wifi for about a minute or two but never loaded any content, it only showed that it was loading. I cannot update my Mac because it won’t connect to anything and it’s not just my phone hotspot that is the issue, so resetting my network settings won’t work. Is there anything I can do? Or must I just replace it?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 8:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 9:22 AM

slushier wrote:

Hi! I’ve had my MacBook Air for over 3 years now and it’s quite old. Yesterday I got it back from the repair shop and the battery had been disconnected and reconnected

. Before then, it never connected to internet despite the same internet working for every other device, but I only used it for school so I just used my hotspot when I needed internet.

However, today, I just got it back and connected it to my hotspot as normal but it refuses to work at all now.

It opens youtube and Twitter and all that but all the sites just say that I need to connect to the internet, they don’t even load or attempt to connect, as if I had my wifi turned off altogether. It connected briefly to my home wifi for about a minute or two but never loaded any content, it only showed that it was loading. I cannot update my Mac because it won’t connect to anything and it’s not just my phone hotspot that is the issue, so resetting my network settings won’t work. Is there anything I can do? Or must I just replace it?

You do not say what the issue was "I got it back from the repair shop..." (?)

Do you see the Wifi card is recognized in > (Option key) System Information>Network>Wifi ...?

If the "repair shop" had anything to do with the display/logic board/upper case/keyboard the WIFI /bluetooth cable is disconnected—if it did not get reconnected or not seated well—then you can consider this a hardware issue beyond your control. Take it back

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn't working

How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 26, 2022 9:22 AM in response to slushier

slushier wrote:

Hi! I’ve had my MacBook Air for over 3 years now and it’s quite old. Yesterday I got it back from the repair shop and the battery had been disconnected and reconnected

. Before then, it never connected to internet despite the same internet working for every other device, but I only used it for school so I just used my hotspot when I needed internet.

However, today, I just got it back and connected it to my hotspot as normal but it refuses to work at all now.

It opens youtube and Twitter and all that but all the sites just say that I need to connect to the internet, they don’t even load or attempt to connect, as if I had my wifi turned off altogether. It connected briefly to my home wifi for about a minute or two but never loaded any content, it only showed that it was loading. I cannot update my Mac because it won’t connect to anything and it’s not just my phone hotspot that is the issue, so resetting my network settings won’t work. Is there anything I can do? Or must I just replace it?

You do not say what the issue was "I got it back from the repair shop..." (?)

Do you see the Wifi card is recognized in > (Option key) System Information>Network>Wifi ...?

If the "repair shop" had anything to do with the display/logic board/upper case/keyboard the WIFI /bluetooth cable is disconnected—if it did not get reconnected or not seated well—then you can consider this a hardware issue beyond your control. Take it back

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line Apple Support

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

If Safari on Mac doesn't open a webpage or isn't working

How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad

Mac connecting to internet, but no wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.