You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update Macbook Pro mid 2010 to the latest version?

So my main computer that I use recently broke so I'm using a old Macbook Pro from mid 2010. It's currently on OS X 10.9.5 and I was wondering how to update it to the latest version. Every time i try to update it it says I need version 10.10 but I can find it anywhere.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 12:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 2:57 PM

Before you attempt ANY major upgrades you MUST have a Trusted, disk-based backup on hand. It really is not optional.

10.11 El Capitan is an important waypoint.

Even if you want to go farther, you should plan on installing 10.11 El Capitan AND then applying ALL available software updates. The last software updates to 10.11 El Capitan will install a more modern version of the Mac App Store that, when used with Safari Browser, is MUCH more successful at downloading and installing any upgrades you want to follow.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 26, 2022 2:57 PM in response to GrandChariot

Before you attempt ANY major upgrades you MUST have a Trusted, disk-based backup on hand. It really is not optional.

10.11 El Capitan is an important waypoint.

Even if you want to go farther, you should plan on installing 10.11 El Capitan AND then applying ALL available software updates. The last software updates to 10.11 El Capitan will install a more modern version of the Mac App Store that, when used with Safari Browser, is MUCH more successful at downloading and installing any upgrades you want to follow.

Feb 26, 2022 1:34 PM in response to GrandChariot

GrandChariot wrote:

So my main computer that I use recently broke so I'm using a old Macbook Pro from mid 2010. It's currently on OS X 10.9.5 and I was wondering how to update it to the latest version. Every time i try to update it it says I need version 10.10 but I can find it anywhere.

A 2010 MBP <Your OS X Mavericks 10.9.5> is limited to High Sierra macOS 10.13.6

You may have to stair step up to at least El Capitan OS X 10.11.6 to proceed further...

verify you are using the Safari browser to download/initiate the macOS links.

The older macOS installer backups on this server:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

——————————————————.

How to update Macbook Pro mid 2010 to the latest version?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.