You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey and printers

I have a new iMac running Monterey which won't recognize my existing printer...something about a filter. I'm in the market for a new black and white printer. Reviews on the products I've seen are pretty bad. Anyone have success with a printer (NO driver or CD) to which the Mac can connect via AirPrint?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 9:11 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 9:44 PM

Have a look at the list Apple provides in About AirPrint. This is a list of AirPrint capable printers.

Do some research to narrow down a few options which meet your needs and check to see if they are on the AirPrint list.

It's a very up to date list - last updated 18/02/2022

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 26, 2022 6:37 AM in response to pochard07

I wasn't looking Jo, it was the OP - laangelsnut - to whose thread you have added your own question.

If your printer is in the AirPrint list and you're still having trouble with it as a last resort you can try to reset the print centre. Read Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem. It takes the printing back to zero and you can add the printer again. Some people report success. Give it a go. Make sure that your printer is connected to your Wi-Fi network though before you try to add it to your Mac.

As for a new one, you should be alright. I find printers more art than science, and have stuck to the brands I know. Check that your candidates mention macOS 12 Monterey on their website and you can't go too far wrong.

Mar 26, 2022 6:56 AM in response to pochard07

Have you tried printing with a USB cable to see if you get success that way? It can be a useful diagnostic tool.

it feels very environmentally unfriendly to get reid of it unless I can find someone else to give it to

It is, unless your local council takes e-waste like mine does and recycles the components. I dropped off three old ink jet printers once and much of it was recycled in some fashion.

There is some distance to go before the likes of printer manufacturers are as aware as Apple on using recycled materials etc., including the Apple Trade In program and the high percentage of recycled materials used in new products.

Mar 26, 2022 6:45 AM in response to David McKinlay

Ah thanks David, I wasn't paying full attention! I tried all the resets etc I could find mentioned. The printer connects to the Mac just prints blank pages, very frustrating.

I've contacted Canon to see if they can help before if I resort to a new one, it feels very environmentally unfriendly to get reid of it unless I can find someone else to give it to.

Mar 27, 2022 12:41 AM in response to David McKinlay

HI David

Yes I did try deleting completely and then installing via USB but it just tells me there are no printer drivers available, and Canon don't offer anything past Catalina for my model (though I'm sure I've printed more recently than that.)

We do have an electronics section at our local dump, but it will need to wait until I next have access to a car!

Monterey and printers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.