You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove files from iCloud permanently and back onto my computer without losing data?

Was using iMac as my main computer. Just bought a laptop and set it up - copying files, etc. But somehow, I cannot access any files for uploading to external websites. The files are all greyed out. I can access them directly from my hard drive but not to upload or copy to/from onto say.. Reddit, Facebook, Gmail, etc. I can do this on my iMac, but not on the laptop. Its like the laptop is just an image of my iMac with limited access. Did I set it up wrong? Help.. I can't figure it out.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 12:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 7:13 AM

See the article Set up iCloud Drive on all your devices - Apple Support

3 replies

Mar 1, 2022 12:45 PM in response to tygb

Yeah.. all still greyed out. I have it set up. I know how to set it up. Just not sure why I can't access anything. I removed things from cloud thinking that would resolve it, but it didn't do anything, truly.. The file I am trying to upload is on this laptop on the desktop.. but is greyed out when I try to upload it. It is a simple, tiny .jpg. I cannot upload anything from my files to any webpage on my laptop. I have to go to my iMac to do it. I just don't understand. Brand new laptop.. is like a useless mirror to my 10year old iMac.

How do I remove files from iCloud permanently and back onto my computer without losing data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.