You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 16 inch 2019 - Overheat and Poor Performance With External Monitor

Has Apple ever addressed this common issue? I have a fully stocked macbook pro 16 inch 2019 model and it's unusable with external monitors. It's too the point where running a session in Logic Pro with 6 tracks is causing it to lag the performance is so bad.

I've tried every solution I've found online. The "best" solution is to use low power mode, but then it's just running sloppy when trying to using Logic.

When plugged into my two external monitors and in clamshell mode, it's pulling a constant 15-18W of GPU power even with no applications open. The temperature is usually between 145-180F. The fan speed is between 3900-5500.

I've spent time on the phone with apple and everytime it results in them telling me thats how the machine is supposed to run... Just wondering if anyone has ever actually fixed the problem?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 1:08 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 25, 2022 10:37 AM in response to talmeltzer

talmeltzer wrote:

Has Apple ever addressed this common issue? I have a fully stocked macbook pro 16 inch 2019 model and it's unusable with external monitors. It's too the point where running a session in Logic Pro with 6 tracks is causing it to lag the performance is so bad.

I've tried every solution I've found online. The "best" solution is to use low power mode, but then it's just running sloppy when trying to using Logic.

When plugged into my two external monitors and in clamshell mode, it's pulling a constant 15-18W of GPU power even with no applications open. The temperature is usually between 145-180F. The fan speed is between 3900-5500.

I've spent time on the phone with apple and everytime it results in them telling me thats how the machine is supposed to run... Just wondering if anyone has ever actually fixed the problem?

Being directly plugged into the Apple 96W USB-C Power Adapter and USB-C Charge Cable source is recommended.

Early one one thing for the 2019 16"—was recommended to separate display on one side (left) of the ports the magsafe charger on the right side ports—may help with heat issues...software updates were suppose to address this issue.

Find the right power adapter and cable for your Mac notebook ...

About Mac power adapters - Apple Support

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support

I will add—Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/VPN/Anti-Virus

all known to cause issues on the macOS

Macbook Pro 16 inch 2019 - Overheat and Poor Performance With External Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.