You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil (1st gen) not charging.

My Apple Pencil gets disconnected randomly and then doesn't get charged (either through a charger or through my iPad).

In my last question, I asked what to do if the gold bars on the lightning charging end of my Apple Pencil were darkened. I was told that if the Pencil is still charging (which it was, at the time, although I had to try plugging it in multiple times), then it's fine. But now it isn't. I also tried forgetting the pencil on the iPad's bluetooth, and now it's not getting paired again.

What's Apple's policy on this? Will I get a replacement? Or at least a free repair?

These are photos of the pencil's lightning part:

First side:

Second side:

I have cleaned this following the instructions on the Apple website, but it hasn't helped.

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 9:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 9:52 PM

akash9702 Said:

"Apple Pencil (1st gen) not charging.: [...]What's Apple's policy on this? Will I get a replacement? Or at least a free repair?"

-------

Getting Apple Pencil Replaced:

Apple might replace it, but that is their call. So, ask them if you can. They may not replace intentionally or accidentally damaged devices. As for free of charge it would be if it is a faulty device, which appears not the be the issue here.

Apple Contact Info:

• Contact Us - Choose Locations
  • Proceed from there, as necessary
  • Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 1, 2022 9:52 PM in response to akash9702

akash9702 Said:

"Apple Pencil (1st gen) not charging.: [...]What's Apple's policy on this? Will I get a replacement? Or at least a free repair?"

-------

Apple might replace it, but that is their call. So, ask them if you can. They may not replace intentionally or accidentally damaged devices. As for free of charge it would be if it is a faulty device, which appears not the be the issue here.

Apple Contact Info:

• Why the Wait: Phone calls are taking a bit to go through at the moment, due to lots of calls. With the Coronavirus Pandemic, many are at home at the moment, with much time on their hands to contact Apple. So, just stay on the line, and you will get through :)

Mar 3, 2022 7:56 AM in response to akash9702

Your photographs show evidence of moisture being present in the Lightning connector, or the Pencil contacts being wet, during charging. In charging with moisture present, you may have damaged both the Pencil - and your iPad connector.

You may be able to improve the connection by gently cleaning both sides of the Pencil connector with a soft plastic pencil eraser (e.g., “rasoplast”).

While your Pencil warranty does not cover damage - in particular water damage - you might ask very nicely for help at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store. Being polite (with a little humility) can often help where a degree of discretion may be available from staff.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Mar 1, 2022 9:51 PM in response to akash9702

akash9702 Said:

"Apple Pencil (1st gen) not charging.: My Apple Pencil gets disconnected randomly and then doesn't get charged (either through a charger or through my iPad).[...]"

-------

Troubleshooting Apple Pencils:

Use these Links:

Syncing is off, or perhaps it is no longer being seen as a trusted device. So, refer to the following...

Verify the compatibility of your iPad and Apple Pencil

View: If your Apple Pencil won't pair with your iPad

Make Sure: that Bluetooth is enabled

Be Certain: there is power to your Apple Pencil

Successfully Pair: and charge your 2nd Generation Apple Pencil

Mar 1, 2022 10:12 PM in response to akash9702

akash9702 Said:

"Hey, I've already checked all of those links. Also, there haven't been any damaging incidents with the pencil (either intentionally or accidentally). Also, how does it appear not to be a faulty device if it stops working for no apparent reason after a bit more than a year?"

-------

Abot my Replies:

I'm providing this just for reference. I make not assertion. So, contact Apple, seeing if you can get this replaced.

Apple Contact Info:

Apple Pencil (1st gen) not charging.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.