You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID could not be used

I support a friend who has a late 2012 Mac Mini running Mojave 10.14.6. When she tries to log in to iCloud she gets the message

Your Apple ID could not be used to sign in to iCloud (34608).

What can she do about this?

The password is correct, as it can be used for a web log in to appleid. She has two-step verification turned on, NOT two-factor authentication.

She has just got an iPhone (refurbished 7) so will in due course be able to use it for two factor authentication. But this will take time, and needs someone locally (I support her Mac remotely) to help.

Posted on Mar 15, 2022 4:46 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 18, 2022 11:26 PM in response to danco34

One thing you can try... When the iCloud sign in dialog comes up and asks for the password for AppleID XXXXXXXXXX, select "use another AppleID" and then in the box that is provided type in the same AppleID that was first suggested, followed by your password when prompted. I have found that the initial box never accepts the suggested AppleID and my correct password for that AppleID when I go there.

Mar 19, 2022 1:26 AM in response to VictoriaDave

The first reply was unhelpful. Those replies do not mention the error number I received, and don't account for the fact that I could log in to the Apple ID page and elsewhere, just not into iCloud.

VictoriaDave's answer may well be helpful. However I solved the problem another way. Since my friend had never used her AppleID I simply created another one. I had thought I couldn't do this as I had already used her email address, but it turned out that I could simply create an icloud.com address and then use that.

Apple ID could not be used

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.