You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS notifications LOUD AF

No matter what I do my notification sounds turn up TO AN ABSURDLY PAINFULLY LOUD LEVEL. Every time I turn their volume down, it cranks itself UP TO A PAINFUL ABSURDLY LOUD LEVEL

This bug has been present through every update for years now.

I have filed dozens of issues in the feedback assistant and they all are summarily ignored.

IDK what to do here. I’m just begging you to please root-cause and fix this Apple.

iPhone 12 Pro Max

Posted on Mar 18, 2022 1:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 20, 2022 9:47 AM

I’m not trying to be rude and understand you’re only trying to help but idk how to be more clear about this.

I get in my car and get a notification and it practically blasts out my speakers with deafening sound. I turn the volume down to a reasonable level, only to have it turned back up to an absurd level again for the next notification.

This is not user error. I have tried every setting that has anything to do with system and notification volume. It doesn’t seem to be some stray app changing my notification volume. It has persisted across many iOS builds and multiple iPhones set up as new phones and without restoring settings from backups.

It is beyond frustrating to have expensive devices made by a company with hundreds of billions of dollars in the bank that styles its products as « just works ! » then not to be able to do something so simple as control the volume settings on them, and, worse, there seems to be no path to getting anyone involved to actually evaluate, root cause, and resolve this issue. I’ve tried bug reports. I’ve tried contacting support. Both many times. I’m desperately trying here and yet I see negative evidence that there is any hope for this ever getting fixed or even taken seriously by anyone with Apple in any position where they might actually be able to address it.

The user experience is awful and the customer experience of having endless nice/kind/friendly/ « helpful » people with no power suggesting the same ineffectual things and then throwing their hands up is maddening and makes it a huge struggle not to become indignant and abusive having had every attempt at civility fail.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 20, 2022 9:47 AM in response to bruno75

I’m not trying to be rude and understand you’re only trying to help but idk how to be more clear about this.

I get in my car and get a notification and it practically blasts out my speakers with deafening sound. I turn the volume down to a reasonable level, only to have it turned back up to an absurd level again for the next notification.

This is not user error. I have tried every setting that has anything to do with system and notification volume. It doesn’t seem to be some stray app changing my notification volume. It has persisted across many iOS builds and multiple iPhones set up as new phones and without restoring settings from backups.

It is beyond frustrating to have expensive devices made by a company with hundreds of billions of dollars in the bank that styles its products as « just works ! » then not to be able to do something so simple as control the volume settings on them, and, worse, there seems to be no path to getting anyone involved to actually evaluate, root cause, and resolve this issue. I’ve tried bug reports. I’ve tried contacting support. Both many times. I’m desperately trying here and yet I see negative evidence that there is any hope for this ever getting fixed or even taken seriously by anyone with Apple in any position where they might actually be able to address it.

The user experience is awful and the customer experience of having endless nice/kind/friendly/ « helpful » people with no power suggesting the same ineffectual things and then throwing their hands up is maddening and makes it a huge struggle not to become indignant and abusive having had every attempt at civility fail.

Mar 19, 2022 1:05 PM in response to Scott Menor

Hi there Scott,

Normally, if an issue lasts as long as you mentioned, we usually refer to Apple Support. Just in case, you can use this link to reach them: Get Support

Besides turning down the volume, you can also adjust a set volume for notifications separate from when you change the volume using the volume buttons. To do this, you can go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics > Change with Buttons(turn this off if not already). You'd then use the volume slider to set the volume level for your notifications.

If you still have an issue afterwards, we recommend contacting Apple Support using the above link.

Cheers!

iOS notifications LOUD AF

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.