You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to install rosetta 2

how do i install rosetta 2 for mac?

everything i read says I need to wait for an app that needs it, but the app just crashes.

i copied/pasted code for the terminal and it didn't take.

Mac mini, macOS 10.12

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 2:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 3:30 AM

Darryl Claps wrote:

so, how do i find out if rosetta 2 has already been installed on my machine?

Press the "option" key, click on the Apple menu and select "System Information… > Software > Installations". Scroll down, look for "RosettaUpdateAuto".

9 replies

Mar 24, 2022 4:48 AM in response to Darryl Claps

There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

McAfee, and take a moment to read the first 600 or so posting on this Application.

Mar 23, 2022 3:02 PM in response to Darryl Claps

Rosetta 2 merely enables Intel Mac developed apps (prior to November 2020), to run Apple's new M1 and similar processors.

You enable it for those apps that aren't too dissimilar from the 64 bit apps that are written for the M1 processor.

Some applications and drivers were developed prior to Catalina's release that are only 32 bit, and those won't run until they are updated.

Mar 24, 2022 2:06 AM in response to dialabrain

i'm using a mac mini m1 2020 and the software is mcafee's total protection.

So of course i am attempting to work with mcafee, but they won't answer my questions.

Their answer about needing to install rosetta 2 makes sorta sense

except - i installed mcafee after i got the mac mini m1 2020 and it worked fine - so, why didn't it need rosetta 2 out of the box? (my only other change this year was the update from big sur to monterey)

My other questions - how do I know if rosetta 2 is already installed or not.

I read thru apple's docs and they seemed to say that if i encountered software that needed rosetta 2, i would be prompted to install. I was not prompted, the software just crashed.

When I went the terminal route, it didn't seem to change anything.

I came to these forums after my patience with mcafee's customer service ran out.

so, how do i find out if rosetta 2 has already been installed on my machine?

how to install rosetta 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.