You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro's storage I getting full without using it by me, how to fix it ?

From the screenshot attached below, it is clear that I have only 17.44 GB available, and yes I have 17.44 GB available because when I tried to move the 25GB file into Mac it shows insufficient storage. The screenshot attached below also shows that my apps use almost 80 GB of storage, But there is a different story below...

The screenshot attached below is coming from a storage management tool, it also shows apps using 80GB but you can see my only a few apps are in GB all other apps are in MB. It is impossible to fill 80GB with it.

Now see the screenshot attached below, it is from the application folder. Selecting all apps using Command+A shows total app storage is 20.36 GB, then where my almost 60 GB storage is going?

How to fix this storage problem without losing data? (This happened after I upgraded to the latest macOS version)

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 4:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 27, 2022 8:13 PM

Ok, I agree the Applications in the list are from everywhere not just /Applications. I found some stuff located in various paths outside of /Applications.

But even if I simply manually add all app sizes listed in that list, it won't match the number 80GB, there is no chance that I have apps of 80GB. Please check the attached screenshots below and try adding them manually.

And, now it is getting even worse. In just 12hrs my apps category shows 100GB now, I did not install any app still 20GB is used up in the app category.

Is there any possibility that any app adding temporary files in the background? If yes, then how to identify, locate and delete those files?

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 27, 2022 8:13 PM in response to James Brickley

Ok, I agree the Applications in the list are from everywhere not just /Applications. I found some stuff located in various paths outside of /Applications.

But even if I simply manually add all app sizes listed in that list, it won't match the number 80GB, there is no chance that I have apps of 80GB. Please check the attached screenshots below and try adding them manually.

And, now it is getting even worse. In just 12hrs my apps category shows 100GB now, I did not install any app still 20GB is used up in the app category.

Is there any possibility that any app adding temporary files in the background? If yes, then how to identify, locate and delete those files?

Mar 27, 2022 4:46 AM in response to Nikhil Gavade

What is “Other” storage on a Mac, and how can I clean it out?

Free up storage space on your Mac

OmniDiskSweeper Safe to use

GrandPerspective 

How to delete Time Machine snapshots on your Mac

See used and available storage space on your Mac

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

The final word from Apple on Managing the " Other " Category

Other: Contains files that don’t fall into the categories listed here. This category primarily includes files and data used by the system, such as log files, caches, VM files, and other runtime system resources. Also included are temporary files, fonts, app support files, and plug-ins. You can't manage the contents of this category. The contents are managed by macOS, and the category varies in size depending on the current state of your Mac.

Mar 27, 2022 9:44 AM in response to Nikhil Gavade

I see a large "iOS Files" in your initial screenshot of storage usage. Are you backing up iOS devices to the Mac? Consider moving those backups off the Mac to external storage. It will save you a large amount of space.

Consider buying iCloud storage as it is very inexpensive and you can backup automatically to iCloud as a result. 50GB of storage is $1/mo and 200GB is $3/mo. You can even turn on Family Sharing and share the 200GB of iCloud storage with your family.

Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

As to your Applications, when you click on the Manage button after looking at Storage from About This Mac, start clicking on the Applications in the list. You will see a path bar at the bottom of the window. Make the window larger to see the path entries. The Applications in the list are from everywhere not just /Applications. I found some stuff located in various paths outside of /Applications such as DropBox, etc.

Remove any Applications you do not need.

My MacBook Pro's storage I getting full without using it by me, how to fix it ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.