You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing administrator ID on new MacBook Air & MB Pro & limiting communication between 2 laptops

Thank you John Gait for your 1/31/22 reply. I didn’t want to implement you recommendations until I had thoroughly studied & understood  this material. There was a lot of articles I had to read. Additionally, in late February, I experienced some serious problems with my email account access that AT&T support completely messed up, changing pass words, locking me out several times, that made me very hesitant to approach major changes on the laptops. Then it’s tax time which has been another headache. Anyway, both devices are basically functional, with these minor annoyances of crossover data, etc. 

I have one more Q. before I start this laptop separation. First, let me summarize the situation. I’m using the new Mac Air (2020), my wife will be using my old MacBook Pro(2015), & we’re going to retire the much older MB Pro(2011) she had previously used. Initially, Both laptops had my wife listed as the Admin, as I transferred data & settings from the old MB Pro to the new Mac Air. I managed to change my user status on the Air to Admin, & my wife’s Admin to standard user. After I log in using her account, In Sys Pref, however, under Apple ID, then name, phone, email, all the information  listed is mine. In the Activity Monitor, however, my wife’s name is listed as the user. This is where I’m confused. If I sign my wife out of her user account, with my name listed as the Apple ID, will this cause any problems with my actual Apple ID account on the laptop or online in the iCloud? Thanks for any reply.

Victor

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 3:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2022 7:44 PM

Yes she has a separate Apple ID. This was the ID used when we purchased the 2015 MB Pro. To your question about whose Apple ID is signed into Icloud, I think you're referring to when she logs in with her ID & pass on the Mac Air. Here it seems that my name shows when I access system pref, under Apple ID, with my name, email & phone, but under Activity Monitor, her name shows in all areas such as CPU, Disk. Online, at the Apple sign in, her name, pass, & email show. Other areas such as the Apple store, her ID works for software updates & purchases. My ID works for music that I downloaded.

I hope this clarifies things. Does this mean, as you seem to indicate, that signing my wife out of her user account on the Mac Air shouldn't affect my Apple ID?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 29, 2022 7:44 PM in response to Eric Root

Yes she has a separate Apple ID. This was the ID used when we purchased the 2015 MB Pro. To your question about whose Apple ID is signed into Icloud, I think you're referring to when she logs in with her ID & pass on the Mac Air. Here it seems that my name shows when I access system pref, under Apple ID, with my name, email & phone, but under Activity Monitor, her name shows in all areas such as CPU, Disk. Online, at the Apple sign in, her name, pass, & email show. Other areas such as the Apple store, her ID works for software updates & purchases. My ID works for music that I downloaded.

I hope this clarifies things. Does this mean, as you seem to indicate, that signing my wife out of her user account on the Mac Air shouldn't affect my Apple ID?

Changing administrator ID on new MacBook Air & MB Pro & limiting communication between 2 laptops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.