You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File / Folder Names Disappearing

I'm on a new 2021 16" MacBook Pro running MacOS Monterey.

I'm having an issue that is more annoying than it is problematic. If I have a folder open, with files and/or subfolders inside, several of the named folders and files disappear. If I right click on the folder or file, the name returns but only momentarily. I'm not loosing files; everything is where it ought to be. It's only that right clicking on numerous folders to get to the folder that I want is, as I said, just annoying.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Apr 2, 2022 6:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 4:32 AM

Is User profile accurate MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2 ?

Current version as of March 31, 2022 is version 12.3.1

Brings several bug and security fixes.

Perform A Time Machine Backup before updating

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 11, 2022 7:31 AM in response to nikisuzamy

I am on MacOS 12.3.1 and have also seen similar behavior. Today it happened when I was adding a sub-folder in column view. When I started typing in the name of the new folder, its parent folder went blank. Selecting the parent folder and viewing info showed the name was still intact.

I was able to fix/refresh the glitch by switching from column view to list view. Not a big deal on the surface, but when this happens to a folder with 8 months of work in it, it's panic-inducing.

File / Folder Names Disappearing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.