You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

monterey 12.3.1 will not install

macOS upgrade to 12.3.1, a security update, fails continuously, even in safe mode.

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 9:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2022 9:52 AM

StevieGee51 wrote:

macOS upgrade to 12.3.1, a security update, fails continuously, even in safe mode.

This is the point update or the full installer (upgrade)...?

point update from Terminal.app command line, this will bypass the secure token/owner check from the Software Update pref pane, copy and paste:

sudo softwareupdate -i -a -R

reference flags:

-i Install

-a All appropriate updates

-R Automatically restart (or shut down) if required to complete installation)

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 3, 2022 9:52 AM in response to StevieGee51

StevieGee51 wrote:

This is the point update or the full installer (upgrade)...?

point update from Terminal.app command line, this will bypass the secure token/owner check from the Software Update pref pane, copy and paste:

sudo softwareupdate -i -a -R

reference flags:

-i Install

-a All appropriate updates

-R Automatically restart (or shut down) if required to complete installation)

Apr 3, 2022 10:38 AM in response to leroydouglas

This is a "point update", with my results. I am on a wired enet connection. Other computers are connecting fine. I have plenty of space on my drive. I'm still in safe mode. Any thoughts? It can't be Apple server services, can it? I tried the below 3 times with the same result:

Last login: Sun Apr  3 13:24:50 on ttys000

steve@Stephens-MacBook-Pro ~ % sudo softwareupdate -i -a -R

Password:

Software Update Tool

Finding available software

Downloading macOS Monterey 12.3.1

Downloading: 100.00%

Failed to download & prepare update: Error Domain=SUOSUErrorDomain Code=201 "The software update download failed. Please check your network connection and try again." UserInfo={NSLocalizedRecoverySuggestion=An error occurred while downloading the selected updates. Please check your internet connection and try again., NSLocalizedDescription=The software update download failed. Please check your network connection and try again., NSUnderlyingError=0x60000269c090 {Error Domain=SUMacControllerError Code=7700 "[SUMacControllerErrorDownloadFailed=7700] Failed to perform Download operation: [SUMacControllerError:7704_1_BOSErrorDomain:304_2_PKDownloadError:3_3_NSURLErrorDomain:-1001_4_kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork:-1001]" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The software update download failed. Please check your network connection and try again., SUMacControllerErrorIndicationsMask=0, NSDebugDescription=[SUMacControllerErrorDownloadFailed=7700] Failed to perform Download operation: [SUMacControllerError:7704_1_BOSErrorDomain:304_2_PKDownloadError:3_3_NSURLErrorDomain:-1001_4_kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork:-1001], NSUnderlyingError=0x60000269c120 {Error Domain=SUMacControllerError Code=7704 "[SUMacControllerErrorDownloadBridgeOSFailed=7704] failed to download bridgeOS package specifiers: [BOSErrorDomain:304_1_PKDownloadError:3_2_NSURLErrorDomain:-1001_3_kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork:-1001]" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=The T2 software update could not be downloaded. Please check your network connection and try again., SUMacControllerErrorIndicationsMask=0, NSDebugDescription=[SUMacControllerErrorDownloadBridgeOSFailed=7704] failed to download bridgeOS package specifiers: [BOSErrorDomain:304_1_PKDownloadError:3_2_NSURLErrorDomain:-1001_3_kCFErrorDomainCFNetwork:-1001], NSUnderlyingError=0x60000269c1b0 {Error Domain=BOSErrorDomain Code=304 "An error occurred downloading one or more packages for the update product." UserInfo=0x600003d9c1c0 (not displayed)}}}}}}

Apr 3, 2022 10:44 AM in response to StevieGee51

StevieGee51 wrote:

This is a "point update", with my results. I am on a wired enet connection. Other computers are connecting fine. I have plenty of space on my drive. I'm still in safe mode. Any thoughts? It can't be Apple server services, can it? I tried the below 3 times with the same result:

Last login: Sun Apr  3 13:24:50 on ttys000
steve@Stephens-MacBook-Pro ~ % sudo softwareupdate -i -a -R
Password:
Software Update Tool

Finding available software
Downloading macOS Monterey 12.3.1
Downloading: 100.00%
Failed to download & prepare update: Error Domain=SUOSUErrorDomain Code=201

Have you ever run "Beta" versions of macOS software...?

Do you have adequate free storage available on the boot drive?

monterey 12.3.1 will not install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.