You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Storage

Hi! I'm not so great with technology so this may be a really elementary question, however I'm confused about how iCloud works. Both my phone and my computer are completely backed up to my iCloud and I've paid to have extensive iCloud storage. On top of this, my phone and my computer are reaching their maximum capacity for storing my photos, documents, information, etc. I would like to delete these from my devices whilst having the security that the could be accessed in my iCloud. However, I'm having issues deleting the items from my devices and keeping them in the Cloud. For example, when I go to delete photos from my phone, it tells me that deleting the photos will "be deleted from iCloud photos on all devices". How do I change this? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

iPhone 12, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 10:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2022 11:05 AM

iCloud is primarily a synchronization service. Anything you delete on any connected device, or in iCloud, deletes everywhere.

Ideally you have a solid backup of your computer outside of iCloud using Time Machine or other similar service (just in case). Ideally 3 copies of your data made 2 different ways with 1 copy kept offsite.

You can free space on your device by optimizing photos (Settings > Photos). Originals are then kept in the cloud with optimized versions available on device. For my library, this reduced the size of photos by 90 percent but will vary based on the composition of your library and your device(s).

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 6, 2022 11:05 AM in response to notsotechgal

iCloud is primarily a synchronization service. Anything you delete on any connected device, or in iCloud, deletes everywhere.

Ideally you have a solid backup of your computer outside of iCloud using Time Machine or other similar service (just in case). Ideally 3 copies of your data made 2 different ways with 1 copy kept offsite.

You can free space on your device by optimizing photos (Settings > Photos). Originals are then kept in the cloud with optimized versions available on device. For my library, this reduced the size of photos by 90 percent but will vary based on the composition of your library and your device(s).

iCloud Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.