You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formula to format a date?

Is there a function which formats a date in Numbers? (I have version 11.2 (7032.0.145).)

Something like

FORMAT(A1, "dd-mmm")

to take a date/time in cell A1 and display it using the format. A date/time today would return "08-Apr". I've seen that one can access the displayed date using

A1&""

but it's pretty clumsy to create a scratch cell just to set the format.

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 3:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2022 6:01 AM

It would be handy but it is not available.

If the cell where you want to display the date will be only the date (not with other text), format the cell to display it the way you want it. No need for a function to do it. If it will be part of other text then I think the best solutions are to either format cell A1 the way you want it to be displayed or, like you said, use a scratch cell (which can be in a hidden column). You could also use some of the built-in date and text functions to create the format you want.

This will create your format from the date in A1

=RIGHT("0"&DAY(A1),2)&"-"&LEFT(MONTHNAME(MONTH(A1)),3)

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 8, 2022 6:01 AM in response to ken-day

It would be handy but it is not available.

If the cell where you want to display the date will be only the date (not with other text), format the cell to display it the way you want it. No need for a function to do it. If it will be part of other text then I think the best solutions are to either format cell A1 the way you want it to be displayed or, like you said, use a scratch cell (which can be in a hidden column). You could also use some of the built-in date and text functions to create the format you want.

This will create your format from the date in A1

=RIGHT("0"&DAY(A1),2)&"-"&LEFT(MONTHNAME(MONTH(A1)),3)

Formula to format a date?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.