You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes purchases are not using my redeemed gift card...how do I get this to happen?

I redeemed a gift card several months ago (perhaps years ago) and I always assumed that purchases were coming off of that balance until recently when I noted on a receipt that they were being charged to my credit card that is on file in my account. I have read through other recommendations and I cannot delete my credit card to force the purchases to come off of my gift card. I get a message that says a credit card is required because of Family Sharing. How can I get purchases to use the gift card that is in my account before charging my credit card?

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 8:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2022 9:53 AM

Wolfgang,

In a family Sharing group, the purchase will only go against your own credit balance if it is your own purchase, not one by a Member.

In this guide see the section on "Some purchases aren’t charged to your Apple ID balance":

How apps, content, and subscriptions from Apple are billed - Apple Support

1 reply

itunes purchases are not using my redeemed gift card...how do I get this to happen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.