You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email files

my ipad has created two email files by itself, then one disappeared and the other I can not delete the mails from. I try to delete by swiping left it comes up with a message that says permission not granted then seems to delete the mail but when I close email and return later the message is back. Any thoughts would be useful. The file is called Archive the other was also called archive_plus my name. The _ one has disappeared🤷🏻‍♀️

iPad mini, iOS 9

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 4:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2022 10:48 PM

Hi Krzyten,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Thank you for sharing your query with us.

Sorry I'm no expert on iPad running iOS 9. (Latest iOS is 15)

So these thoughts may not be quite right in your case.

Seems the Mail Archive folder is part of the Mail app itself, (like Trash, or Drafts etc.) so you may not be able to delete it.

When we delete an e-mail, it depends on our settings whether either of two choices happens:

(1) send the eMail to the trash / bin, (eg: may be deleted after 30 days, or never, if that is set.)

or

(2) archive the email in the archive folder. (stays there without being deleted, until we move / retrieve it).

If the archive option is turned on:

to delete an email instead of archiving it, touch and hold , then tap Trash Message.

To see your settings:

Try going to Settings > Passwords & Accounts

Tap your eMail account

Tap Mail

Tap Advanced

Now you should see (and be able to change) whether deleted mail goes to Trash or Archive.

This article was written for iOS 12 ... so it may or may not not apply to iOS 9

Delete and recover emails in Mail on iPad – Apple Support (AU)

All the best :-)

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 14, 2022 10:48 PM in response to Krzyten

Hi Krzyten,

Welcome to the Apple Community.

Thank you for sharing your query with us.

Sorry I'm no expert on iPad running iOS 9. (Latest iOS is 15)

So these thoughts may not be quite right in your case.

Seems the Mail Archive folder is part of the Mail app itself, (like Trash, or Drafts etc.) so you may not be able to delete it.

When we delete an e-mail, it depends on our settings whether either of two choices happens:

(1) send the eMail to the trash / bin, (eg: may be deleted after 30 days, or never, if that is set.)

or

(2) archive the email in the archive folder. (stays there without being deleted, until we move / retrieve it).

If the archive option is turned on:

to delete an email instead of archiving it, touch and hold , then tap Trash Message.

To see your settings:

Try going to Settings > Passwords & Accounts

Tap your eMail account

Tap Mail

Tap Advanced

Now you should see (and be able to change) whether deleted mail goes to Trash or Archive.

This article was written for iOS 12 ... so it may or may not not apply to iOS 9

Delete and recover emails in Mail on iPad – Apple Support (AU)

All the best :-)

Email files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.