You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If the phone was sold to me and is locked what can be done

was sold to me and is locked what can be done

iPhone XR

Posted on Apr 17, 2022 8:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2022 9:01 PM

If it is a passcode lock > If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

If it is a carrier lock > How to unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier - Apple Support

If it is an Activation Lock only the previous owner can remove it. Send them this link > What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 17, 2022 11:43 PM in response to Robbiemarie

You'll need to get it unlocked where it can be erased to factory settings so you can start over as if it were new. I'd see if the seller can do that for you.

Apple won't help reset it without an original proof of purchase from Apple or an authorized seller, or some other proof that it's your legal property. Other than that, you really have no options as one reason for locking is to prevent stolen property from being used. Not saying yours was necessarily stolen, but they have to operate on the premise that it might be stolen.

If the phone was sold to me and is locked what can be done

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.