You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I turn off Wi-Fi on the AirPort Extreme?

Can I turn off Wi-Fi on the extreme, like you can on express ie ‘join a wirelesss network’. I want to use it to extend my Wi-Fi signal but only then to enable Ethernet on 2 devices. My Wi-Fi speeds have dropped and I’m wondering if it’s because of too many Wi-Fi signals in one house?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 11:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2022 12:06 PM

If you have an AirPort Extreme as the main base station, you can set up the second AirPort Extreme to "Extend a wireless network" and the Ethernet ports on the Extreme will be enabled as well.

How well the second Extreme extends the network will depend on the quality of Wi-Fi signal that it receives from the "main" AirPort Extreme. Ideally, you would want line of sight between the two AirPorts. For every wall or obstruction in the signal path between the two AirPorts, the signal will slow 20-25% or more.

Nature of the beast when you try to use Wi-Fi to "extend" a network.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 19, 2022 12:06 PM in response to bungi

If you have an AirPort Extreme as the main base station, you can set up the second AirPort Extreme to "Extend a wireless network" and the Ethernet ports on the Extreme will be enabled as well.

How well the second Extreme extends the network will depend on the quality of Wi-Fi signal that it receives from the "main" AirPort Extreme. Ideally, you would want line of sight between the two AirPorts. For every wall or obstruction in the signal path between the two AirPorts, the signal will slow 20-25% or more.

Nature of the beast when you try to use Wi-Fi to "extend" a network.

Apr 19, 2022 11:58 AM in response to bungi

Can I turn off Wi-Fi on the extreme, like you can on express ie ‘join a wirelesss network’.

No, since there is no setting or option on an AirPort Extreme to "Join a wireless network". The AirPort Express is the only AirPort device that can "Join a wireless network" and provide an Ethernet signal at the same time.

In addition, the AirPort Extreme will not be able to "Extend a wireless network" unless it will be connecting to a Wi-Fi signal that is provided by another Apple AirPort router. Or in other words, the AirPort Extreme cannot connect to a 3rd party router using a Wi-Fi signal.......it must connect to a 3rd party router using a permanent wired Ethernet cable connection.

My Wi-Fi speeds have dropped and I’m wondering if it’s because of too many Wi-Fi signals in one house?

The Wi-Fi network will slow down as the number of Wi-Fi devices connect to the network increases. So, if you have a 50 Mbps Internet Connection with your provider and things are slowing down on the network, you will need to look at a 100-200+ Internet connection plan.

Apr 19, 2022 12:01 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for that.

I do have another extreme as the main base station. I was using the second one to enable wired connection to an Xbox and TV in another room. Just swapped it out for another express. Wi-Fi quality has been so variable recently, but this not reflected in modem stats (talk talk router with Wi-Fi switched off), so was thinking it must be my Apple Wi-Fi set up.

Can I turn off Wi-Fi on the AirPort Extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.