You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What has happened to Screenshot in Monterey?

I have really appreciated the Screenshot app. It has been helpful and easy for me. Now it's doing crazy things. When I identify an area to be copied the app now says "Record" instead of "Capture" as it did before. By manipulating the Record button I can get it to actually capture what I want, but then it leaves a permanent darkened screen and blank window in the place I copied. I can only get rid of this by restarting my computer.

I am running a late 2015 iMac with macOS 12.3.1

Is this something I can fix, or is it a result of the latest macOS update?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on May 3, 2022 7:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 3, 2022 8:34 AM

jimpal wrote:

I have really appreciated the Screenshot app. It has been helpful and easy for me. Now it's doing crazy things. When I identify an area to be copied the app now says "Record" instead of "Capture" as it did before. By manipulating the Record button I can get it to actually capture what I want, but then it leaves a permanent darkened screen and blank window in the place I copied. I can only get rid of this by restarting my computer.

Make changes to suit you needs:

Shift Command 5

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/take-a-screenshot-or-screen-recording-mh26782/mac

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 3, 2022 8:34 AM in response to jimpal

jimpal wrote:

Make changes to suit you needs:

Shift Command 5

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/take-a-screenshot-or-screen-recording-mh26782/mac

May 3, 2022 8:20 AM in response to jimpal

when i need to do a screen recording, i use the "shift-command-5" keyboard shortcut to bring up the recording controls. this allows me to record either the entire screen, or a portion there of. and i also have the "record" button.

but when i want to take a screenshot, i use the "shift-command-3" keyboard shortcut to capture the entire screen, or "shift-command-4" to capture a selected portion.

but if you open the app itself, you need to choose weather you want to capture the screen, or record the screen

these icons are for capturing the screen.

and these are for recording the screen.

and if you bring up the recording controls when there's already a screen recording in progress, you need to first quit it with the "stop" button on the controls bar.

or you can use the "stop" button that appears on your menubar once you start a recording.

What has happened to Screenshot in Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.