You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screenshot app not working suddenly: Monterey

In the past few days my screenshots are not being sent to their previous location. They also aren't being sent to the desktop. When I try to open the Screenshot app in Utilities by hitting shift-cmd-5 a selection box opens, but there is no screenshot bar at the bottom as is supposed to be there. have no idea what is happening or why this change occurred.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 5:14 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2021 6:35 AM

Does it work OK in Safe Mode? That boot takes minutes.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If OK them boot normally and see if it still works.

2 replies

Nov 16, 2021 7:01 AM in response to lllaass

Very strange. I had restarted twice with no effect. I went to start it in safe mode, pressed down the Shift key until I saw the logo. When it finished rebooting, the problem was solved, but everything looked pretty normal so I checked and it turns out I was no longer in Safe Mode....in fact, I'm questioning whether I ever was. Regardless, the problem is fixed, and so is the problem with Screenshot not working properly. In looking back, I think the problem started when I did a screenshot and moved the small preview to the desktop before it had time to move to the Screenshot folder. I've done that hundreds of times, but this time the image of the screenshot on the desktop couldn't be moved or opened. For some reason that threw tons of things off kilter, including Time Machine...but I have no idea how it actually fixed itself after two attempts to restart didn't do anything. I'm sure there's an explanation somewhere that is way over my paygrade, but the problem is solved.

Screenshot app not working suddenly: Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.