You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving folders to second SSD drive and using them

In my early 2011 13" MBP, I swapped out the optical drive for a new Crucial 2tb SSD (BX500). My intention was to move my largest folders and libraries to it--especially iPhoto libraries--because I was running out of space on the 2tb SSD that I had swapped in a few years ago for the base spinning drive. However, I have heard that I shouldn't put my iPhoto libraries on a different drive than where the iPhoto app is located. Is that true? Is this true of all of the apps--that the data should always be on the same drive as the app? I hope not, because it would mean I had installed the second SSD for no good reason. Thanks.

Posted on May 3, 2022 3:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 3, 2022 3:31 PM

Yisang wrote:

"... I have heard that I shouldn't put my iPhoto libraries on a different drive than where the iPhoto app is located. Is that true? Is

this true of all of the apps--that the data should always be on the same drive as the app? "

None of that is true. What's happened in the past couple of years is that some vendors have made it difficult to relocate app data files from the default location they use at installation. ... but there are usually workarounds.

However, regarding iPhoto & Photos, you certainly can move the library to another drive. Apple even provides instructions on how to Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 3, 2022 3:31 PM in response to Yisang

Yisang wrote:

"... I have heard that I shouldn't put my iPhoto libraries on a different drive than where the iPhoto app is located. Is that true? Is

this true of all of the apps--that the data should always be on the same drive as the app? "

None of that is true. What's happened in the past couple of years is that some vendors have made it difficult to relocate app data files from the default location they use at installation. ... but there are usually workarounds.

However, regarding iPhoto & Photos, you certainly can move the library to another drive. Apple even provides instructions on how to Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac.

May 3, 2022 5:02 PM in response to MartinR

Sorry, but two follow-up questions. An Apple Support staff that I spoke with a few days ago said I should keep the iPhotos libraries on the same SSD as the iPhotos app. I know that you have said that's actually unnecessary. But can you think of why he would have advised that?

Secondly, on the link you provided about moving the Photos library, it discusses how to move the library to an external drive and what to do if problems arise. Should I assume that the same instructions apply when moving the library to an internal, but second newly installed drive? Thanks.

May 3, 2022 6:14 PM in response to Yisang

1 - That would be a standard Apple response. No surprise there. Remember, the article I linked is Apple's own instructions on how to relocate your Photos library.

2 - The procedure is the same whether the drive is internal or external. For that matter, it's even the same if you just want to move the library to a different folder on the same drive.

Moving folders to second SSD drive and using them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.