You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I copy directories listed in a file?

Hopefully, someone knows the answer to this one: how can I copy folders listed in a file? The list contains the full pathnames of the folders. The folders need to be copied from one location to another. Thanks in advance.

Posted on May 7, 2022 4:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 7, 2022 8:41 AM

I have my Synology DiskStation share mounted on my Desktop as share. In that share folder is my Viking user folder. On my Desktop is a file named folders.txt, which I have placed a single entry, where the tilde is just shorthand for my home directory, but in your case, multiple folders would still work.

folders.txt

~/Desktop/TestX/Work

Terminal commands

cd ~/Desktop
cp -a $(cat folders.txt) /Volumes/share/Viking

and the result (using the free, third-party tree cmd:

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 7, 2022 8:41 AM in response to Thomoos

I have my Synology DiskStation share mounted on my Desktop as share. In that share folder is my Viking user folder. On my Desktop is a file named folders.txt, which I have placed a single entry, where the tilde is just shorthand for my home directory, but in your case, multiple folders would still work.

folders.txt

~/Desktop/TestX/Work

Terminal commands

cd ~/Desktop
cp -a $(cat folders.txt) /Volumes/share/Viking

and the result (using the free, third-party tree cmd:

May 7, 2022 4:42 AM in response to Thomoos

Thomoos wrote:

Hopefully, someone knows the answer to this one: how can I copy folders listed in a file? The list contains the full pathnames of the folders. The folders need to be copied from one location to another. Thanks in advance.

Q -" how can I copy folders listed in a file "

A - What type of FILE is this ?

A - Is it a TextEdit or some other type of text based file ?

May 7, 2022 5:41 AM in response to Thomoos

The Finder has no clue how to map a list of text file folder paths into a move or copy operation unless one writes some AppleScript. It can be done in the Terminal application with a single command and (some common sense about source and destination content).

Are the source folders and destination folder both on your Mac, or the one or both on a drive mounted to your Mac? Do any of those folders in your list contain a sub-folder hierarchy and do you have the available storage to effect that en masse folder copy without exhausting local storage?

May 7, 2022 6:49 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi, VikingOSX,

Ab AppleScript: would be great .However, I don't have the skills to write one. Actually, I was thinking about a shell script. Unfortunately I don't possess the skills to do that either.

Source folders: on my Mac.

Destination folder: on a Synology NAS, connected via LAN to my Mac.

Sub-folder hierarchy: yes, and I will create an extra folder to contain the copied folders.a

Available storage without exhausting local storage: yep, checked that already

May 7, 2022 11:39 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi VikingOSX, I tested your solution on a small scale, and it worked great. I'm still working on the contents of the TXT file containing the folder names. The command I gave was:

find . -name "*.jpg" > list.txt

What I needed was a list of all folders containing one or more .jpg files. Maybe I should pipe it to grep or fgrep to strip the file names, bet I'm not familiar with that.

Anyway, you solved the problem I posted. Many thanks!

How can I copy directories listed in a file?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.