You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Normalize volume in iMovie

Hi, I have a video I have made but it has one part which is very loud, I would like to balance out the audio. I googled how to normalize audio across a video in iMovie but all the instructions, including here, seem to be for past versions. Could anyone tell me how to do this in version 10.3.1? Thankyou.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.5

Posted on May 8, 2022 8:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2022 7:57 PM

Try try holding down the option key and click along the volume line to place keyframes along it. Then you can drag the keyframes up and down to level out the volume.

Another way is to hold down the r key while dragging your cursor over the part of the clip that has uneven volume. That will create a yellow box in which you can vary the volume by moving the volume line up and down. The changes will be confined to the portion of the clip outlined by the yellow box. So you can put a box around the low volume place and raise the volume and then put a box around the high volume place and lower the volume.

-- Rich

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 9, 2022 7:57 PM in response to Pizazz

Try try holding down the option key and click along the volume line to place keyframes along it. Then you can drag the keyframes up and down to level out the volume.

Another way is to hold down the r key while dragging your cursor over the part of the clip that has uneven volume. That will create a yellow box in which you can vary the volume by moving the volume line up and down. The changes will be confined to the portion of the clip outlined by the yellow box. So you can put a box around the low volume place and raise the volume and then put a box around the high volume place and lower the volume.

-- Rich

May 9, 2022 10:00 AM in response to Pizazz

The normalizing slider makes the volume of all clips equal, and you then can adjust the volume of all clips at the same time to make them softer or louder as a group. It will not remove all sound unless to make it so. As Ian says, you must move the slider very slowly.

Another way that you can do this is to use the Paste Adjustments feature. Select the first clip in the range of clips and adjust its volume to the level that you want. Then do Edit/Copy. Then select the remaining clips as a group and do Edit/Paste Adjustments/Volume. The volume level that you selected for the first clip will be pasted into the remaining clips in the group.

If the above two methods do not work satisfactorily for you, then your only other option is to manually adjust each clip to the volume level that you want.

-- Rich

Normalize volume in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.