You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TimeCapsule back up taking a long time

Im using 15” mid 2012 MBPro i7 core 2.6 Ghz non retina OS Catalina10.15.7

it is backing up to 5th Gen TimeCapsule since 2016 has latest firmware.

Just curious if there is a short, quick or simple answer to this time capsule issue I’m seeing.

I think there’s five steps to the TimeCapsule back up I noticed in mine 1) preparing backup 2) backing up 3) backed up 4) cleaning 5) verifying backup

My questions:

A) My backups are taking an extremely long time verifying backup.

B) I also seem to have a problem that if a backup is interrupted, such as i have to leave for work and stop the verifying process, but it’s also anytime it stopped, I can’t get to the backups the day before or have access to backups prior to that.

I can see those back ups and it will see you today in your time machine then it will show it could show like one back up at four or five if out what went through that day then it shows yesterday but it won’t go to or before yesterday?

The question I really want to answer this question A vs B but if anyone has seen any of these behaviors I’m curious.

Posted on May 11, 2022 1:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2022 2:53 PM

Normal, if Time Machine detects any possible kind of potential corruption issues. If you have been backing up the same Mac to the Time Capsule for 4-5 years or more, it is going to take Time Machine longer and longer to verify all the old backups before it will run a new backup.

My advice would be to copy all of the old backups on the Time Capsule over to a USB drive, then erase the Time Capsule hard drive and start over again with new backups.

I'm confused on your other (B) statement. Are you saying that you cannot see any backups older than a few days at this time?

Finally, if the Time Capsule really is 6+ years old, the hard drive is subject to failure as well as the Time Capsule power supply. It won't hurt to continue to use the Time Capsule, but I would suggest backing up to another hard drive as well.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 11, 2022 2:53 PM in response to bikeman5

Normal, if Time Machine detects any possible kind of potential corruption issues. If you have been backing up the same Mac to the Time Capsule for 4-5 years or more, it is going to take Time Machine longer and longer to verify all the old backups before it will run a new backup.

My advice would be to copy all of the old backups on the Time Capsule over to a USB drive, then erase the Time Capsule hard drive and start over again with new backups.

I'm confused on your other (B) statement. Are you saying that you cannot see any backups older than a few days at this time?

Finally, if the Time Capsule really is 6+ years old, the hard drive is subject to failure as well as the Time Capsule power supply. It won't hurt to continue to use the Time Capsule, but I would suggest backing up to another hard drive as well.

May 11, 2022 6:03 PM in response to bikeman5

i meant to throw this into last reply, this is where it is at been running about 3 hours. This TC has been a little finicky im thinking its been tired its ran daily for 8 years which extremely good another testament to apple quality. My oldest back up is m

3/3/2018, i was reading another post of yours and went into it just to peek and with a cord as you suggested, the back ups not completed are in there with folders, that could add to the time as well. Ill post tomorrow how this first aid went tomorrow just fyi, looks like it is gonna be an all nighterI

May 11, 2022 5:46 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I running first aid on it tonight just to see, im getting ready to retire this one, ive got 3 more new ones in unopened boxes, 1 is hoing to be designated for my 16” MBPro M1 Max ive yet to set up. Like a fool i just cracked my trackpad a few weeks ago lubing my desk chair wheels, im going to rip it down replace track pad still works like new( apple is a great product) the cracks are driving me nuts to look at them. Ill replace the speakers that blew a few months ago and the hingecl cover after the new 2021!mac is up and running. Trying to figure out how ill repurpose this one, use it at work give it to my son or grand daughter, i thinking of trying newer OS with patches. Or keep it for storage ive got a lot of pictures and docs on it.

thanks again bob, youve been great.

May 12, 2022 7:34 AM in response to bikeman5

You can run First Aid on the sparsebundle file on the Time Capsule that contains all the backups......but.....you cannot run First Aid on the Time Capsule hard drive itself. In other words, if the Time Capsule hard drive is beginning to slide downhill......as would be expected after 6-7 years of use.......First Aid is not going to help.

At 8 years, both the Time Capsule hard drive and the power supply are "suspect".

If the data on the Time Capsule hard drive is important to you, my suggestion would be to copy all of that data over to another USB drive......just in case. It won't hurt to continue using the Time Capsule, but I would not keep any data on the drive that I could not afford to lose. When a drive fails, it usually does so very quickly, with no real advance warnings.

May 12, 2022 2:44 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

i realized afterwards it was first aid on time machine not the time capsule, i think it was good to run it. i had never ran it on time machine since i bought this 2012 MBPro in 2012, ive ran it a couple times on the MBPro over the years and just a few weeks ago, no issue found or repaired, it was a success.

the 2012 MBPro seems to be running good, i was rethinking all my issues are probably the 2016 TC.

BOB, could i run the old time capsule USB to the new time capsule USB?

i have a new 2TB SSD External Drive, i was thinking i am going to archive my documents and photos to that, not sure from which MBPro yet, the 2012 or the 2021 is probably a better idea.

i think im going to do a temporary 2TB iCloud Storage plan ($9.99 a mo) then move my APPS, Email, Documents and Photos which are stored in documents not iPhoto. That is all i really care about.

the 2012 MBPro seems to be running good, i was rethinking all my issues are probably the 2016 TC, ive really maxed out the life on it.

i am quite sure im going to set up the new 2021 MBPro up as new like it is my first Apple Product. Manually set up all my preferences and somewhere in that process sign into iCloud.

The 2021 MBPro will have its own brand new TimeCapsule.

Once all that is going smooth Im going to rip down and rebuild the 2012 MBPro minus the drive which has approx 2 years of life left, then i may factory reset and start that as new again from the iCloud

thanks again for the advice and help,

marcel

May 12, 2022 3:11 PM in response to bikeman5

could i run the old time capsule USB to the new time capsule USB?

No, that won't work since the USB port on the Time Capsule is only designed to handle an additional USB hard drive for additional storage options.

i was rethinking all my issues are probably the 2016 TC,

On average.......5-6 years is about it for the Time Capsule. Some go longer....and some not as long.

The 2021 MBPro will have its own brand new TimeCapsule.

A good thought.......but.......there are some downsides to running newer operating systems like Big Sur and Monterey on Macs backing up to a Time Capsule.

Why? The hard drives on Big Sur and Monterey Macs are formatted in a new way called APFS. But....the Time Capsule cannot be formatted this way. To try to compensate, Time Machine has to convert that data on the Mac's APFS drive to work on the Time Capsules' HFS+ formatted drive. So, extra complications and more chances for things to go wrong. Of course, Apple never bothers to mention details like this to us.

Remember......even the "latest" version of the Time Capsule was designed and introduced in the 2012-2013 timeframe. Apple never updated the hardware capabilities of the Time Capsule, so it is really is somewhat out of date, technology wise.

It won't hurt if you want to try this with the newer Macs backing up to a Time Capsule, but I would also back up to an APFS formatted hard drive connected directly to the Mac......much less to go wrong and much faster backups this way.

Good luck!

May 12, 2022 9:46 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

Thanks again!!!

well that is good to know and kind of depressing in a way.

when i bought the 2021 the apple techs said it would work with time capsule, either they are misinformed or plain ignorant to the facts. i thought i covered all my bases and trusted them and their information they relayed to me.

i will Give it a whirl and see what happens.

For the 2021 MBPro what do you recommend for drives SSD or HDD, there is so much opinion behind all of it, some say SSD is waste of money he HDDs are just as reliable and that SSD have a similar life span, the can on be written and rewritten so many times. Really thought SSD lasted a 33% to 50% longer as well as being faster.

so my old time capsule is (finished, done), i knew it was beyond the life span and was hoping to stretch it just a few more months. i could not get it to back up, after first aid, disk was unavailable even though my Back ups were there. i even factory reset it, so i finally broke out one of my new time capsules and retired they old one and im realizing i shoulda did this back in march, what a difference, everything is running smooth again. i thought it was the MBPro, i thought it was deleted USER issues, i think all my problems went back to the old TC. i have not wiped it clean yet. Not until i get a good new back up saved.

i see a lot of people are rebuilding time capsules with 8Tb and 12 Tb SSD drives, maybe that is an option for me at a future date for my old TC, the Ethernet is probably fine with CAT 5e, im actually using CAT 8 cables they are (backward compatible) im doing that just for less interference and cross talk however the USB is 2.0 so for sure it is getting outdated,ive really never use it, i dont game and the stuff i do i am really fine on the 2012 MBPro with 3.0 USB and thunderbolt 2 and the timecapsule is fine for me i really dont feel limited. Tonight on the new one everything seems so smooth.

i realize TimeMachine is an Apple APP, i thought the DATA was stored on the Time Capsule, im kind of really confused.

with no TimeCapsule i went into Time Machine and i can see and access my Back Ups for 2 days. so something is storing on the 2012 MBPro. Im not sure what or how much, this blew my mind as i thought all the data was on the Time Capsule. very confused as to what is happing between Time Capsule and Time Machine and what they actually do.

okay i am ready to do my first Back Up to the new Time Capsule. The way ive done the 1st Back ups in the past is, do one then do a second one right after to be sure it is all there.

thanks again,

marcel

May 13, 2022 9:38 AM in response to bikeman5

when i bought the 2021 the apple techs said it would work with time capsule, either they are misinformed or plain ignorant to the facts. i thought i covered all my bases and trusted them and their information they relayed to me.

i will Give it a whirl and see what happens.

Most users have been able to make things work in general, but as I said there are more complications with this type of backup, so more things to potentially create issues.

Technically, this is what is happening with Macs running Big Sur and Monterey that are backing up to the Time Capsule:

The Time Capsule drive cannot be formatted in APFS, so Time Machine creates a sparsebundle file (that is formatted in APFS) on the Time Capsule.....which is formatted in HFS+.......so the backup process becomes tricky and complicated.

As far as using SSD or a conventional spinning drive for backups. There are of course no real moving parts on the SSD, so it gets the nod as far a reliability. The real issue here is the Time Machine application can only back up at limited speeds, so backups to an SSD will be no faster than backups to conventional spinning disk.

In other words, Time Machine cannot take advantage of the normally faster speeds with SSD, so users who spend the extra money to get faster backup speeds are disappointed to find that the SSD backups are about the same speed as regular spinning drive backups.

It's a judgement call with no real right or wrong answers. Some users cannot justify the extra expense for SSDs and some can.

i thought the DATA was stored on the Time Capsule, im kind of really confused.

The data in the backups is always stored inside a special type of file called a sparsebundle on the Time Capsule. In other words, Time Machine cannot back up directly to the hard drive on the Time Capsule.

Time Machine can back up directly to a hard drive that is connected directly to the Mac, like a USB drive though. So, backups are simpler (and faster) if you are backing up directly to a USB drive connected directly to your Mac. This is called a "local" drive. The Time Capsule is a "network" drive that is connected to your network, so backups have to occur over the network.

with no TimeCapsule i went into Time Machine and i can see and access my Back Ups for 2 days. so something is storing on the 2012 MBPro.

Time Machine temporarily stores "snapshot" backups on your Mac's hard drive if the Time Capsule is not connected or not available.....and..... if there is plenty of free space on the Mac's hard drive. Later, the "snapshots" are consolidated and stored as regular backups on the Time Capsule. When that occurs, the older snapshots are deleted from the Mac to make room for new temporary "snapshots".

okay i am ready to do my first Back Up to the new Time Capsule. The way ive done the 1st Back ups in the past is, do one then do a second one right after to be sure it is all there.

After the first backup is done, Time Machine still has to index all the data stored in the backup, which can take 4-6 hours or more. So, you may not be able to view the new backup in Time Machine for a few hours or so.

May 13, 2022 11:16 AM in response to Bob Timmons

thanks so much bob, from what i know some of i understand some i dont, you certainly makes this clearer, it makes much more sense now.

You are a savior of sanity, i cant thank you enough for sharing your tremendous and expansive knowledge, from questions of mine, to answers to others questions that you've answered and ive come across. ive even seen others that have pointed towards your solutions and remedies which had me reading more the wealth of knowledge you hold.

i am grateful and extremely appreciative of what you've shared to help me and others..

thanks again for being there when ive needed some help, direction and being taught by you.

TimeCapsule back up taking a long time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.