You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which charging cord do I need to plug my new iPhone SE into a USB port?

So when I got my iphone se today, I see the USB cord is too small to fit into my computer! Wish I would have known that before delivery, so I could have been prepared. What do I need to buy, because SOME of us old folks are tech illit!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 19, 2022 8:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 19, 2022 9:01 PM

Your iPhone arrived with the USB-C connector on its Lightning cable, and your computer has the older USB-A connector.

USB-C is smaller and is reversible, and can be used for power (including enough power for a full laptop!), USB, Thunderbolt, or other connections, depending on some details.

USB-A is the older and rectangular connections, and the plug only goes into the socket one way.

If your computer has no USB-C ports but does have USB-A ports, then you can acquire a USB-A to Lightning cable from Apple or from various other vendors.

You can charge rapidly with a USB-C charger such as that 20 watt model, or can charge more slowly using a 5, 10, or 12 watt USB-A charger, or with whatever wattage (5W, 10W, or 12W) might be provided via your computer and its USB-A connections.

If you want to use your Mac or Windows computer for iPhone backups or such, you’l need a matching Lightning cable.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 19, 2022 9:01 PM in response to Huggabear

Your iPhone arrived with the USB-C connector on its Lightning cable, and your computer has the older USB-A connector.

USB-C is smaller and is reversible, and can be used for power (including enough power for a full laptop!), USB, Thunderbolt, or other connections, depending on some details.

USB-A is the older and rectangular connections, and the plug only goes into the socket one way.

If your computer has no USB-C ports but does have USB-A ports, then you can acquire a USB-A to Lightning cable from Apple or from various other vendors.

You can charge rapidly with a USB-C charger such as that 20 watt model, or can charge more slowly using a 5, 10, or 12 watt USB-A charger, or with whatever wattage (5W, 10W, or 12W) might be provided via your computer and its USB-A connections.

If you want to use your Mac or Windows computer for iPhone backups or such, you’l need a matching Lightning cable.

May 19, 2022 8:07 PM in response to Huggabear

Huggabear Said:

"USB cord: So when I got my iphone se today, I see the USB cord is too small to fit into my computer! Wish I would have known that before delivery, so I could have been prepared. What do I need to buy, because SOME of us old folks are tech illit!"

-------

Finding the Correct Cable:

What port is on your computer? Is a USB-A port, this is what you need: Lightning to USB Cable (1 m) - Apple Support

May 19, 2022 8:53 PM in response to Huggabear

Huggabear Said:

"The ports on my computer are too large. I think I read on the Apple site that I need a 20W USB-C Power Adapter. My USB which came with my iphone Se in 2017, fit just fine. Was setting up my new phone tonight and wanted to charge it."

-------

Having Charging Issues?

While it is plugged in it is intended to charge? Is it not charging when you plug it in to your computer?

Which charging cord do I need to plug my new iPhone SE into a USB port?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.