You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

firmware password removal for imac 2020

Hi,

I have an imac 2020 desktop.

Unfortunately I forgot my firmware password and I need to access the computer to access some files needed for a court case, as well as some health records. I was unfortunately a victim of some cyber-stalking/hacking and therefore no longer have access to the original icloud account or email used to purchase the imac which is purchased online. I had the password written down somewhere but cannot find it.

I read online that the firmware password can be reset using a 33 digit hash. I have got the hash using instructions online, but it would be difficult for me to carry it to a store due to distance and other logistical issues. Also because I am logging in to recieve person documents I want to keep the imac in full view at all times. I rang an apple store and they told me that I would have to drop off the imac and leave it with them which I really do not want to do.

I am therefore wondering whether it is

1) possible to use the 33 digit hash and send it to an online support service for apple to help me remove the firmware password without fully wiping my imac and therefore deleting all the documents

2) Have someone someone come to my house to reset it (if such as option is available at an extra cost)

3) I am wondering if I do go instore how long the process takes and whether I would be able to be present while it happens?

I am wondering if anyone would be able to answer these questions or provide any alternative solutions, please?

Posted on May 20, 2022 3:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2022 5:36 AM

Door number 3 and you will need to show proof of purchase. The Apple store manager will be the last word on whether you can hover over the technician while they unlock the firmware password. We are fellow users and won't have that answer for you.

Similar questions

2 replies

firmware password removal for imac 2020

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.