You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Camera on iPhone hacked

I received an email from someone who claims they hacked my iPhone camera and recorded something I wouldn't want revealed. Unless I pay them off, they will email this recording to people on my contact list of a particular email I sent. The blackmailer referenced my mobile number in their email to me. And of course they know my email address as well. I have another 30 hours to pay up. Does security breach sound plausible?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 15

Posted on May 22, 2022 9:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 22, 2022 9:54 PM

No, this is a very common scam. Ignore it, no one has hacked your phone.

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

3 replies

May 22, 2022 9:59 PM in response to iPhonecamerahacked

iphone camera hacked Said:

"Camera on iPhone hacked: I received an email from someone who claims they hacked my iPhone camera and recorded something I wouldn't want revealed. Unless I pay them off, they will email this recording to people on my contact list of a particular email I sent. The blackmailer referenced my mobile number in their email to me. And of course they know my email address as well. I have another 30 hours to pay up. Does security breach sound plausible?"

-------

That is a Ransomeware Attack:

A. Report this:

Also, report this to Apple: Use my User Tip: Using the Photos App to Report Scams: - User Tips

You might be able to report this to a federal agency. Find the correct eMail of the agency to forward this off to.

B. Secure your Accounts:

Did you interact with this in any mount, whatsoever? If so, then modify your credentials, immediately. If not, then you are fine from here, and just delete the eMail. So, secure you account, if you interacted with it.

Secure your Account...

Perhaps your wife (or some else) has your credentials? So, secure your account.

Do Two Things:

A. Verify Your Devices:

Verify that you the devices logged in to your account or officially yours, by using this link: Check your Apple ID Device List to See where you're Signed in - Apple Support

B. Consider Modifying your Credentials:

Having been stollen, someone likey has your credentials. So, by all means, consider modifying them, starting with a new password.

Camera on iPhone hacked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.