You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disable files app swipe left to open?

Hi all. I just got a new iPad 9th gen (had an old mini for a long time). I am using the music app ForScore, but that does not especially matter except to explain my problem: to turn music pages you can swipe left. However, if I start the swipe at the wrong place, I get the files app (or at least part of it) instead. Big problem while actually playing/singing since it covers up the music and requires a different grip to dismiss it! You get many measures behind!

I can't find any documentation that even talks about this left swipe starting the files app in the first place. But I would like to disable that feature. I looked in "Settings" and did not see the files app as having any settings. I can disable ForScore from using iCloud, but I do want it to sync with other devices that way; however, I never need to look at the actual files app for that.

Any ideas? Thanks.

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 29, 2022 6:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 29, 2022 7:06 AM

If you force close the files app, does this still happen? That is the only way I can imagine this is happening to you.

See how to force close apps:

Open the App Switcher:

• Swipe up from the bottom edge and pause in the center of the screen.
  • Swipe up open app with your finger to fully close it.

Similar questions

5 replies

May 29, 2022 8:00 AM in response to lobsterghost1

Yay! That was exactly what was going on. THANK YOU!

Can you point me to any docs that might lead to this conclusion? In particular, is the files app special in that the left swipe brings it up if it is running, or do other apps have similar "features"? BTW, I've used iOS and MacOS for a long time on an iPhones and Macs but I've never seen this behavior! Thanks again!

Disable files app swipe left to open?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.