You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a usb drive with music files from my Cds. Unable to copy them to my iPod touch using iTunes.

I have a usb drive with music files from my Cds. I want to copy them to my iPod touch but am having no luck using iTunes. Any help would be appreciated.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPod Touch

Posted on May 31, 2022 1:31 PM

9 replies

Jun 3, 2022 12:20 PM in response to Droodhall

Connect your iPod to the computer. Once iTunes sees it, click on the device icon that appears under the top menu bar:

That displays the Device/Settings/Summary pane. Switch to the Device/Settings/Music pane (1, shown below)instead:

• Is Sync Music ticked?
    • If it is, which option have you selected in step 3? Is it Entire music library or Selected playlists, artists, albums and genres?

Jun 3, 2022 8:18 AM in response to Droodhall

Droodhall wrote:

No. Is there a fee for subscribing? Is that a requirement to download music files to iPod?

Yes, there is a fee and no, it is not a requirement.

I was asking in order to rule out the possibility that it was the issue. Now that we know the answer, we can rule it out.

Have you previously used Sync with this specific iPod? If so, are you syncing the entire library, or only specific items? If you don't already know, use iTunes to check the Device/Settings/Music pane in order to find out.

To summarise:

• the songs need to be playable in your iTunes Library. If they are not, start by solving that problem
  • if you're using Sync Entire Music Library, make sure that the songs are in your Library before attempting to Sync
  • if you're using Sync selected playlists, artists, albums and genres, make sure that the songs are in a list that has been selected to sync with the iPod
  • finally, safely disconnect the iPod, connect it back to iTunes and let another Sync take place. It is not uncommon for erratic syncing to prevent songs from being added, even when they should be

Jun 1, 2022 2:11 AM in response to Droodhall

What do you mean by no luck using iTunes? If you're having trouble adding the files to your iTunes Library (a different issue to the one suggested by bobjbkln), let us know what steps you take and at which point it doesn't work as you expect.

In basic terms, you have to add the files on the USB drive to your iTunes Library, then use iTunes to add them to your iPod. You cannot simply copy them from the USB drive to the iPod.

I have a usb drive with music files from my Cds. Unable to copy them to my iPod touch using iTunes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.