You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

shared photo albums

Since upgrading my MacBook Air to Monterey, I can no longer subscribe to shared photo albums. I checked preferences and they are still set correctly. Any suggestions? 

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 6, 2022 11:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 1:26 PM

Every night since the system update showed up, my Mac said it would update overnight so I made sure it was plugged in and ready to go. But each morning it said it was unable to updated since I was busy using it during the day, I let it go. Well, I decided I needed to take care of that update and when it was done and I opened Photos, there was the missing shared album. Apparently that was one of the bugs. I want to thank everyone for sticking with me on this issue. Now I can see the pictures of my grandson at his special event. 😁 🤗 And in the future when I have issues, I will take care of those system updates quicker.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 9, 2022 1:26 PM in response to bryanr14

Every night since the system update showed up, my Mac said it would update overnight so I made sure it was plugged in and ready to go. But each morning it said it was unable to updated since I was busy using it during the day, I let it go. Well, I decided I needed to take care of that update and when it was done and I opened Photos, there was the missing shared album. Apparently that was one of the bugs. I want to thank everyone for sticking with me on this issue. Now I can see the pictures of my grandson at his special event. 😁 🤗 And in the future when I have issues, I will take care of those system updates quicker.

Jun 7, 2022 10:07 AM in response to diannefromholland

Hey diannefromholland,

Since you're seeing an issue specifically with shared albums, let's follow this guide: If Shared Albums aren't working - Apple Support

Make sure you're signed in with your Apple ID and that iCloud Photos are enabled. Let's also check to see if you can subscribe from another device, if you have one available. Let us know if you run into any errors.

Take care.

Jun 7, 2022 11:10 AM in response to diannefromholland

Hello diannefromholland,

Welcome back to Apple Support Communities!

Let's make sure you're using these steps to subscribe to the album: How to share albums in Photos on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac - Apple Support

If the issue continues, try a normal restart of the Mac to see if that has any impact.

When you try to subscribe, what happens? Do you see any error messages?

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Jun 8, 2022 2:18 PM in response to diannefromholland

diannefromholland,

Thanks for the clarification. We note you mentioned the shared album doesn't open after the Photos app does. If you check the sidebar on the left of the Photos app there, and click the arrow next to 'Shared Albums' (or click on Shared Albums itself), do you see the newly subscribed one here? If not the new one, do the older ones still appear here?

Subscribe to shared albums in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

Cheers.

Jun 9, 2022 12:24 PM in response to diannefromholland

diannefromholland,

We appreciate you for verifying that information for us. Upon further review, we noticed that you're currently on macOS 12.3.1. There's a recent update available for macOS Monterey, which is 12.4. Let's go ahead and update your Mac, as it helps provide software improvements that may help. Here's how to update your Mac: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

After the update is complete, please let us know if you're able to access the shared album in the Photos app. We look forward to hearing back from you with an update.

Best regards.

Jun 7, 2022 11:04 AM in response to danakayw

Thank you for your reply. I am signed in with my Apple ID and iCloud Photos is enabled. I receive shared albums regularly, at least several times a month without issue. The only change I can think of was upgrading to Monterey. I am able to access the new shared album on my iPhone but let's face it, I need to see my grandchildren on a larger screen. 😉

Jun 8, 2022 2:08 PM in response to justin_900

Thank you for your response. I read through the steps you shared and verified everything was correct. I then restarted my computer. When it was back up, I tried to subscribe again. You asked what happens when I subscribe. Well, not much. There is no error message. All that happened was the Photos app opened but the new shared album does not open. Any more thoughts?

Jun 9, 2022 12:10 PM in response to Eric_G1

The newly subscribed album does not show up in the sidebar either but all the older ones do show up. Reminding you all of two things. One is that this seemed to start after updating my MacBook Air to Monterey (12.3.1). The second thing was that I was able to subscribe to and open the shared album on my iPhone with no problem. I appreciate all your suggestions.

shared photo albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.