You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blank window issue with many third-party apps

I'm using a MacBook Air M1 (2020), OS: Monterey 12.4 but I encountered the same issues with previous versions of Monterey.

I'm having issues with the following apps:

• Microsoft Teams
  • Visual Studio Code
  • Spotify
  • Slack
  • Discord

The issue is this: when I open these apps they get stuck on a blank window and I'm not able to access the Preferences or Settings in the menu. I am able to quit the app without a Force Quit (most of the time).

Things I have already tried:

• Restart the computer
  • Uninstall and reinstall the application and then restart the computer
  • All of the above but in Safe Mode
  • Clear the caches relative to the apps
  • Repair the disks
  • Initialize the computer

I noticed that these apps are built on Electron, but then again Atom also is and it works just fine.

I already reported the issue through Apple Support and they suggested to downgrade the OS to Catalina/Big Sur but I wonder if I'm the only one encountering this issue.

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 10:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 11:02 AM

Welcome Nrderus,

Nice troubleshooting along the way. It sounds like these may be saved states causing an issue. To be sure, we'd isolate it further using another Administrator account on your computer. If you don't already have one set up, here's how: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Add a user

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups .
If the lock at the bottom left is locked , click it to unlock the preference pane.
2. Click the Add button  below the list of users.
3. Click the New Account pop-up menu, then choose a type of user.
- Administrator: An administrator can add and manage other users, install apps, and change settings. The new user you create when you first set up your Mac is an administrator. Your Mac can have multiple administrators. You can create new ones, and convert standard users to administrators. Don’t set up automatic login for an administrator. If you do, someone could simply restart your Mac and gain access with administrator privileges. To keep your Mac secure, don’t share administrator names and passwords.
4. Enter a full name for the new user. An account name is generated automatically. To use a different account name, enter it now—you can’t change it later.
5. Enter a password for the user, then enter it again to verify. Enter a password hint to help the user remember their password.
6. Click Create User.
7. Depending on the type of user you create, you can also do any of the following:
For an administrator, select “Allow user to administer this computer.”
For an administrator, select “Allow user to reset a password using Apple ID.”
Use Sharing preferences to specify whether the user can share your files and share your screen.

For information about Apple’s privacy policy, see the Apple Privacy Policy website.

If your Mac or Magic Keyboard has Touch ID, a new user can add a fingerprint after logging in to the Mac.

Once you've created the test user, go to the Apple menu > Log out. Then log in to the newly created user. Try launching these apps and see if the issue is persistent here.

If the issue is resolved in the other user, log out of the test user and back in to your normal user account. Then try relaunching the apps, while holding down the Shift key on your keyboard. Release the Shift key once the app opens completely. This should remove the app's saved state and hopefully solve this for you: Prevent apps and windows from reopening - Apple Support

Let us know the results, cheers.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 9, 2022 11:02 AM in response to nrderus

Welcome Nrderus,

Nice troubleshooting along the way. It sounds like these may be saved states causing an issue. To be sure, we'd isolate it further using another Administrator account on your computer. If you don't already have one set up, here's how: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac - Apple Support

Add a user

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups .
If the lock at the bottom left is locked , click it to unlock the preference pane.
2. Click the Add button  below the list of users.
3. Click the New Account pop-up menu, then choose a type of user.
- Administrator: An administrator can add and manage other users, install apps, and change settings. The new user you create when you first set up your Mac is an administrator. Your Mac can have multiple administrators. You can create new ones, and convert standard users to administrators. Don’t set up automatic login for an administrator. If you do, someone could simply restart your Mac and gain access with administrator privileges. To keep your Mac secure, don’t share administrator names and passwords.
4. Enter a full name for the new user. An account name is generated automatically. To use a different account name, enter it now—you can’t change it later.
5. Enter a password for the user, then enter it again to verify. Enter a password hint to help the user remember their password.
6. Click Create User.
7. Depending on the type of user you create, you can also do any of the following:
For an administrator, select “Allow user to administer this computer.”
For an administrator, select “Allow user to reset a password using Apple ID.”
Use Sharing preferences to specify whether the user can share your files and share your screen.

For information about Apple’s privacy policy, see the Apple Privacy Policy website.

If your Mac or Magic Keyboard has Touch ID, a new user can add a fingerprint after logging in to the Mac.

Once you've created the test user, go to the Apple menu > Log out. Then log in to the newly created user. Try launching these apps and see if the issue is persistent here.

If the issue is resolved in the other user, log out of the test user and back in to your normal user account. Then try relaunching the apps, while holding down the Shift key on your keyboard. Release the Shift key once the app opens completely. This should remove the app's saved state and hopefully solve this for you: Prevent apps and windows from reopening - Apple Support

Let us know the results, cheers.

Jun 10, 2022 6:46 AM in response to nrderus

Hey Nrderus,

Good to know, nice isolation. Do you happen to use a VPN or security software? We ask because this may cause network issues for apps: Check VPN (Virtual Private Network) and third-party software to help resolve network connectivity issues - Apple Support

Check for VPN connections and third-party firewall or security software

Some types of software, including VPN apps or configuration profiles, may have settings or restrictions that can cause connectivity issues. Types of software that could affect connectivity include: 

- VPN (Virtual Private Network) apps
- Managed configuration profiles
- Firewall apps
- Anti-virus apps
- Parental control apps
- Content blockers

Review the apps on your device to see if these types of apps or configuration profiles are installed. 
On iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, scroll through your installed apps and check for VPN software or configuration profiles in Settings. 

- Settings > General > VPN (even if it says Not Connected)
- Settings > General > Profile (if this option doesn't exist, profiles are not installed)

On Mac, check your Applications folder in the Finder and check for configuration profiles in System Preferences > Profiles. 

If any of these types of apps are installed on your device, you may need to delete them to resolve the connectivity issue. Use caution if you choose to do this, since deleting an app or changing a configuration profile could affect how you use your device. For example, if you delete a configuration profile installed by your organization or school, your device may not work with that network.

If the issue continues to occur after removing any security software or VPNs, then it would be best to partner with the developer on their next suggested steps: How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Have a good one, take care.

Jun 10, 2022 10:59 AM in response to nrderus

Q - Proxies - Network proxies detected. This could be evidence of malware.

Q - Details: Restrictive config permissions - possibly malware

A - There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Should “ Certain & Specific Software “ referenced from above be installed - it will negatively impact macOS. It is suggested, to download directly from a respected ASC Contributor, the application Malwarebytes for Mac

It is free or paid for added features. 

Run the Application and it should remove the malware / adware. Once done, restart computer and test.

Q - Antivirus software: Apple and CleanMyMac

Q - User Login Items:

[Not Loaded] AdGuard Login Helper (App Store - installed 2022-05-26)

Modern Login Item

/Applications/AdGuard for Safari.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/AdGuard Login Helper.app

A- Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and comprising the Operating System

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instruction

This will include CleanMyMac  and please read some of the many posting regarding this Specific Application and the damages it does to.

There has been sufficient advise / suggestions offered for the User to make an informed and educated choice what the next course of action is required.

The suggestions have been put forth on a volunteer basis, in good faith and in the best interests of the computer.

Jun 10, 2022 6:41 AM in response to nrderus

Good work thus far 👍 and just one more Trouble Shooting method, if you have the time.

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The below suggestion is the next best thing to us having actual On-Hand to this computer.

Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Jun 10, 2022 2:33 PM in response to PRP_53

The proxy I feel like it's a false flag, since it's just a proxy web I use to communicate with a server. I was not aware of the dangers of the app CleanMyMac, so thanks for the heads up. However it's an app that I downloaded today so it is not related to the original issue. I did try to remove AdGuard as also suggested by destiny241

Blank window issue with many third-party apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.