You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time machine

have a nerw MacBook Air and time machine hard drive used with previous MacBook Air now cannot get time machine to backup Do I format drive? or?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 8:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 9:23 PM

If it's not functioning yes, it should be reformatted and your backups will start again when you launch Time Machine after you select the new drive - (see Back up your Mac with Time Machine). Some people have the practice of doing this anyway when they acquire a new Mac. I've sometimes found that 'inheriting' a backup regime on a new Mac has problems and I have to reformat the drive.

See Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 9, 2022 9:23 PM in response to azkroger

If it's not functioning yes, it should be reformatted and your backups will start again when you launch Time Machine after you select the new drive - (see Back up your Mac with Time Machine). Some people have the practice of doing this anyway when they acquire a new Mac. I've sometimes found that 'inheriting' a backup regime on a new Mac has problems and I have to reformat the drive.

See Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac

Time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.