You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I downgrade from IOS 15.5 back to 15.4?

3 weeks ago I updated my ipad to 15.5 and ever since I am experiencing software crashes every few 30 minutes and needed to be force restart every time, one time it was stuck in black screen when I boot it back up and had to be restored using itunes. I've gotten white screen of death, black, red, blue, yellow and green, no idea what any of them means. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

iPad mini 4, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 10:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2022 10:47 AM

No - you cannot restore an earlier version of iOS/iPadOS than is currently installed on your iPad.

All System Updates are digitally signed by Apple - and can only be installed whilst the digital signatures remain valid. After release of a new iOS/iPadOS version, the immediately preceding version continues to be digitally signed by Apple - however, usually within a few days, Apple will revoke the digital certificate with which the earlier version is signed.

At present, iPadOS 15.5 is current - and is the only version that can be reinstalled on your iPad.

Your iPad may benefit from a Factory Restore - as this will fully erase your iPad - and install a full/fresh copy of iPadOS 15.5. After the Factory Restore, you can restore your data from your iCloud or iTunes backup.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 26, 2022 10:47 AM in response to Ken951

No - you cannot restore an earlier version of iOS/iPadOS than is currently installed on your iPad.

All System Updates are digitally signed by Apple - and can only be installed whilst the digital signatures remain valid. After release of a new iOS/iPadOS version, the immediately preceding version continues to be digitally signed by Apple - however, usually within a few days, Apple will revoke the digital certificate with which the earlier version is signed.

At present, iPadOS 15.5 is current - and is the only version that can be reinstalled on your iPad.

Your iPad may benefit from a Factory Restore - as this will fully erase your iPad - and install a full/fresh copy of iPadOS 15.5. After the Factory Restore, you can restore your data from your iCloud or iTunes backup.

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Restore all content to iPad from a backup - Apple Support

How do I downgrade from IOS 15.5 back to 15.4?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.