You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files not downloading

Hello. For a long time, I have had the same problem: files from the Internet cannot be downloaded. At the same time, if I exit and go to the browser, the download starts. That is, restarting the browser helps. This problem occurs in all browsers: google chrome, safari, etc. When you click on "download" nothing happens. But at the same time, restarting helps and the download starts. Roughly the same problem from time to time in Figma: when I try to upload an image via the "upload" button, nothing happens. Only restarting the application helps. It turns out that the problem is not in the browser, but somewhere in the laptop. Tell me how to solve this problem?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 29, 2022 1:31 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 8:30 AM

The Suppled Report says differently and there is an Antivirus Software installed

Surfshark Antivirus - version 4.2.1 (SURFSHARK LTD - 2022-06-07)

Unless that is Part of the Bundled VPN Installation then Both Need to be Removed as the the Developers Instructions.

Do not just Drag and Drop the application to Trash. That may just make a bad situation even worse. It may leave remnants of the Application still installed on the computer making it even more difficult to find all the left-overs on the machine.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 5, 2022 8:30 AM in response to Design_Chesn

The Suppled Report says differently and there is an Antivirus Software installed

Surfshark Antivirus - version 4.2.1 (SURFSHARK LTD - 2022-06-07)

Unless that is Part of the Bundled VPN Installation then Both Need to be Removed as the the Developers Instructions.

Do not just Drag and Drop the application to Trash. That may just make a bad situation even worse. It may leave remnants of the Application still installed on the computer making it even more difficult to find all the left-overs on the machine.

Jun 29, 2022 1:46 AM in response to Design_Chesn

1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - Sometimes a Safe Boot followed by a Normal Boot will just put things right.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps is the order that have been presents  and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

4 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

5 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps is the order that have been presents  and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.1 - Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

6 - If after performing each of the above steps is the order that have been presents and still have issues - please advise for possible further assistance.

Jul 5, 2022 5:04 AM in response to Design_Chesn

Thank you for taking the time to supply the Report.

The Last Two Points below will address this computer Specific Issue of Files Not Downloading.

Have seen some Other things worth bringing to the Users ( your ) Attention

Major Issues:

Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention. 

Q - No Time Machine backup - Time Machine backup not found.

A - Anything that can not be replaced is worth protecting using some type of backup plan. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement. 

Q -  Clean up - There are orphan files that could be removed.

A - That is self explanatory 

Q -  Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. These files could be old, incompatible, and cause problems. They should be reviewed.

A - Also is self explanatory 

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020)

Drives:

Q -  disk0 - APPLE SSD AP0256Q 251.00 GB (Solid State - TRIM: Yes) 

Q - disk3s1s1 - Macintosh HD [APFS Snapshot]

245.11 GB (Shared - 15.24 GB used, 84.53 GB available, 50.46 GB free)

A - It is suggested to keep at least 15%  to 20% of the Drive Total Capacity as Empty Space for good operations of the computer and for additional updates to Monterey to download, expand and install.

System Software:

macOS Monterey 12.4 (21F79) 

Time since boot: About 4 hours

System Extensions:

Q -   [Not Loaded] Surfshark Antivirus - version 4.2.1 (SURFSHARK LTD - 2022-06-07)

Application: /Applications/Surfshark.app - version 4.2.1 (SURFSHARK LTD - 2022-06-14)

Description: System Extension enables Surfshark app to provide antivirus features.

A - There are no known Windows-like Viruses in the wild that self replicate and affect macOS, because of the underling UNIX  Foundation and Permission Limitation. 

Additionally, and specific to Big Sur macOS 11 and Monterey macOS 12, the Operating System resides in a Sealed and Read Only Volume that can not be opened by the User or “ Bad Actor “ Software.

The Only thing this Antivirus software is protecting is the Bank Account of the Developers and for zero return to the User aside from the problems this software creates.

The The Built in Security  is all that is required to protect the computer.

Q -   [Running] Surfshark. WireGuard - version 4.2.1 (SURFSHARK LTD - 2022-06-07)

Application: /Applications/Surfshark.app - version 4.2.1 (SURFSHARK LTD - 2022-06-14)

Description: System Extension enables Surfshark app to connect using WireGuard protocol.

Software Installs (past 60 days):

Q- 2022-06-03 VPN Plus (21.1.0)

A - Commercial VPNs   should only be used if Mandated by Corporate Head Office for working remotely. Otherwise - ones Privacy and Security touted by the VPN is suspect.

This is a Business like any other Business and Profits are their Driving Force. All your Internet Traffic is routed via the VPN who are known to Harvest your Data and package this for Sale to the Highest Bidder

There has been sufficient advise offered for the User to make an informed and educated choice what the next course of action is required.

The suggestions have been put forth on a volunteer basis, in good faith and in the best interests of the computer.

Jul 5, 2022 2:15 AM in response to Design_Chesn

Understand, we are all working Remotely from all around the world. 

Therefore, we do not have the On-Hands experience the User ( you ) has with this computer.

The next best thing for us to having an actual On-Hand experience  with this computer is to follow the steps below

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Jun 29, 2022 1:48 AM in response to Design_Chesn

Hello friend, is your laptop on the latest version of macOS? If you’re not sure, check in the system preferences if there is a newer software update for your system. Once you’ve confirmed that you are on the latest version of OS and the problem still persists, try restarting your laptop. If you still have the problem, take your laptop to your nearest Apple store and they will sort out your problem.

Jul 4, 2022 11:27 PM in response to PRP_53

Hello! thanks for such a detailed answer.

I tried to start in safe mode, but the problem is that the breakdown does not appear immediately. For example, about 5 days have passed since the last time the laptop refused to download the file. Accordingly, it is completely unclear how long I need to work in safe mode. After I returned to the normal mode of the day 3-4 everything was fine, but here again the problem returned and the download does not occur.

The same goes for logging into another account. I have no idea how long I will have to work in that account until the problem manifests itself. Because it appears quite rarely.

I don't know what to do anymore. I have to constantly restart my browser...

Jul 5, 2022 5:50 AM in response to PRP_53

Sorry, English is not my native language and sometimes it is very difficult for me to understand what exactly needs to be done) Tell me, do I understand correctly that I need to free up space on my laptop and remove third-party VPNs? You see, I live in Russia, there is nowhere without a VPN 😂 otherwise half of the sites will not work... do you think the problem is in the VPN?

Files not downloading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.