You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Don't get verification code to login on a new iPad

I want to configure a new iPad and a verification code was sent to my devices for the apple Id authentication.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the code on my Mac. Normally, I always get the code on this device.

I can't generate a code on my Mac because it is not my primary account.

=> Is there another way to verify the account?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 8:33 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 8:43 AM

You can only receive the codes - or self-generate them - on trusted devices signed-in w/ the same AppleID.

If the AppleID of your iPad is different - and there are no other trusted devices on THAT AppleID - you’ll need to receive your verification code to one of your pre-designated “trusted numbers” for THAT AppleID.

Click on the link “Didn’t receive code?” to select the number to use.

See more options here:

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 4, 2022 8:43 AM in response to corinna53

You can only receive the codes - or self-generate them - on trusted devices signed-in w/ the same AppleID.

If the AppleID of your iPad is different - and there are no other trusted devices on THAT AppleID - you’ll need to receive your verification code to one of your pre-designated “trusted numbers” for THAT AppleID.

Click on the link “Didn’t receive code?” to select the number to use.

See more options here:

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Jul 5, 2022 12:02 AM in response to Chattanoogan

On a Mac, you can generate a code with: System Preferences > Apple ID > Password and Security > Get verification code. I think, this works only with the account, I use for my Mac, my primary account. I can't select another one.

The secondary account that I want to login on my iPad is configured under Internet Account in the System Preferences.

I checked it with a browser login. The verification code for the secondary account was sent to my Mac.

Jul 5, 2022 3:03 AM in response to corinna53

I think we’re still getting cross-threaded on “account” terminology

Mac local “user accounts” (the one you choose during the initial login and for which you enter a password) are NOT the same as AppleIDs.

Regardless of the local user account being used on the Mac, if your Mac is signed-in to the same AppleID (as displayed in Apple -> System Preferences -> AppleID) the verification code it generates (or receives) WILL allow you to initially connect your new iPad using the same AppleID.

If the AppleIDs are different … or if the Mac is not connected to the internet … the Mac can NOT receive the code.

However, even a “internet-disconnected” Mac (using the same AppleID) CAN generate a verification code for your new iPad from: Apple -> System Preferences -> AppleID -> Password & Security -> Get Verification Code.

It’s ALL about using the SAME AppleID, regardless of device or local user account naming.

Hope this helps.

Jul 5, 2022 3:30 AM in response to Chattanoogan

Thanks for your detailed explanation, Chattanoogan! 🙏🏻

So many confusing terms 😅

I think I have just a single "user account" on my Mac (I don't have to choose one on Mac start).

An "internet account" seems to be something different. You can use it to also add the mails, contacts and calendar entries to your Mac apps.

Fortunately, I just solved the problem. I got access to another device that luckily received the code.

But it is still odd that it didn't work on my Mac. 🤔

Jul 5, 2022 3:36 AM in response to corinna53

Glad you’re “up” … and the differences between MacOS and iOS/iPadOS … while outwardly subtle … are nonetheless significant and indeed confusing to many.

However, it STILL sounds like your Mac is perhaps either “off-net” or using a different AppleID.

Suggest that you probably want to get that resolved - in another thread if needed - sooner rather than later.

Regards,

Don't get verification code to login on a new iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.