You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Space-switching lags when app is fullscreen on other display

I recently switched to a 14" M1 Max with 64GB of RAM and noticed something rather strange, that I didn't have on my M1 Max 32GB model.

Setup was and is as follows:

M1 connected by USB-C to a Samsung LC34 screen (3440x1440).

Since I got the new Mac running, whenever I set an app to fullscreen on the Mac itself, I get extremely laggy visuals when switching spaces on the big external screen. Sometimes even the mouse lags terribly for a few seconds. As soon as I end fullscreen, everything is smooth again.

Has anyone stumbled across this before? As it wasn't there on my "old" M1 I suppose (read: hope) it must be some kind of setting I'm missing.

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 10:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 5, 2022 4:45 AM

And another one I found out on my own :)

Looks like ProMotion is the culprit. When I set the internal display to 60Hz fixed, everything is fine.

With ProMotion enabled the stuttering occurs.

Similar questions

1 reply

Space-switching lags when app is fullscreen on other display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.