You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it true that Siri still collects data, even if you have Siri disabled?

Someone just told me that Siri still collects data FROM JUST ABOUT EVERY APP, unless you specifically tell it not to, even if you have it disabled!!!!

How do you turn off?

He said something about suggestions or something.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 11:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 12:01 PM

No. I found where it is. If you go to system preferences/siri/suggestions and privacy, there are a number of apps, including safari where it 'learns' about you.

That means it is collecting data. You have to go to each app and specifically turn it off.

By the way, it was an interaction on safari that clued me in.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 14, 2022 12:01 PM in response to BobHarris

No. I found where it is. If you go to system preferences/siri/suggestions and privacy, there are a number of apps, including safari where it 'learns' about you.

That means it is collecting data. You have to go to each app and specifically turn it off.

By the way, it was an interaction on safari that clued me in.

Jul 14, 2022 11:49 AM in response to Whickwithy

Why would Siri do that? It is a voice input service for looking things up and asking the Mac to do things. And in newer Macs, iPhones and iPads, some of the request are done totally on the device.

Obviously requests that require searching the web leave the device.

Are you thinking about Spotlight that indexes file contents on your system and maintains an on-system database?

Is it true that Siri still collects data, even if you have Siri disabled?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.