You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect macbook pro to iMac to use as a display

I want to use my 2012 iMac running OS Catalina as a display for my 2021 Macbook pro. What cable do I need? Thank you for your help!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 10:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2022 10:37 AM

You cannot do that as clearly explained in the support document you posted from.

The 2021 MacBook Pro cannot use a 2012 iMac as a display. It can only use 2018 or later Macs running Monterey as displays.

To use the 2012 iMac as a display you need a 2019 Mac or earlier running Catalina or earlier.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 18, 2022 10:37 AM in response to spghzoo

You cannot do that as clearly explained in the support document you posted from.

The 2021 MacBook Pro cannot use a 2012 iMac as a display. It can only use 2018 or later Macs running Monterey as displays.

To use the 2012 iMac as a display you need a 2019 Mac or earlier running Catalina or earlier.

How to connect macbook pro to iMac to use as a display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.