You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Expand Cell's Height

Hello.

In Excel, when I set a row to "Wrap Text", whenever I type and the content goes longer than the cell size, it will wrap itself and auto expand the cell's height. But in Numbers, it appears that I have to double click the row to make it expand.

Please advise, thank you.

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 8:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 10:43 PM

In my copy of Numbers, Wrap text is the default setting.

If yours is set by default to not wrap text, you can easily change that setting for one or more cells.

Select the cell(s),

Click the format brush to open the Format Inspector

Choose the Text section.

Check the checkbox indicated by the arrow to Check (to wrap) or Uncheck (to not wrap) text in the selected cells.

Full view of the table shown above:

Text in cells C3, B4 and A5 was entered directly from the keyboard.

Text in C3 was copied, then pasted into cell B5.

Body cells in rows 4 and 5 were set to NOT wrap text in the cell, letting it flow into the empty cells to its right.

Cell C3 was set to Wrap text in the cell, making the cell (and the rest of the row) expand vertically to accept the extra text.

Regards,

Barry

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 21, 2022 10:43 PM in response to syakir_zainol

In my copy of Numbers, Wrap text is the default setting.

If yours is set by default to not wrap text, you can easily change that setting for one or more cells.

Select the cell(s),

Click the format brush to open the Format Inspector

Choose the Text section.

Check the checkbox indicated by the arrow to Check (to wrap) or Uncheck (to not wrap) text in the selected cells.

Full view of the table shown above:

Text in cells C3, B4 and A5 was entered directly from the keyboard.

Text in C3 was copied, then pasted into cell B5.

Body cells in rows 4 and 5 were set to NOT wrap text in the cell, letting it flow into the empty cells to its right.

Cell C3 was set to Wrap text in the cell, making the cell (and the rest of the row) expand vertically to accept the extra text.

Regards,

Barry

Jul 21, 2022 10:49 PM in response to syakir_zainol

syakir_zainol wrote:

In Excel, when I set a row to "Wrap Text", whenever I type and the content goes longer than the cell size, it will wrap itself and auto expand the cell's height. But in Numbers, it appears that I have to double click the row to make it expand.

Have you selected the cell(s) and made sure 'Wrap text in cell' is checked?

If 'Wrap text in cell' is checked then the row height will expand automatically as you add more text. There should be no need to double-click.

SG

Expand Cell's Height

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.