You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to avoid Carplay Maps data usage?

I just started using CarPlay on my new car, and noticed within 15 minutes my mobile data usage had been seriously used up. I am someone who uses VERY little data usually (WAY less than 1 GB a month) since most the time, make sure am on WiFi, not an option in a car), but this truly wipes this out. I see that there is no way to disable Apple Map from the list of apps. I also notice if I turn off CarPlay and ask Siri to navigate, data usage is negligible.

So, 2 questions…why this huge difference, and is there a way to NOT have Maps actively running when I connect CarPlay so as to avoid having to needlessly pay for data usage.

iPhone SE, iOS 15

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 1:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 2:39 PM

There is no reason for Maps to use more than a few GB in a whole journey to update traffic data.

First find out which app is using most data in Settings, Mobile Data (or cellular in USA) Top app uses most.

If necessary turn it off - yes you can

1 reply

How to avoid Carplay Maps data usage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.