You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding a display to a new Mac mini M1

Tried to set up my new Mac mini M1 with an LG monitor, had issues getting the monitor to communicate with the mini using HDMI to HDMI cable. At this point in time, the mini has not been set up at all.

I am now considering getting a different monitor that better suits my needs (a ViewSonic VP2458). I've read the Apple articles on hooking up the mini to monitors and adapters, and now I am thoroughly confused about what specific cables and adapters are required for my M1 mini.

In short, I need a functioning and compatible monitor to get started with the new mini. And I need to know exactly which cables and/or adaptors are required to connect. Thanks.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 2:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 1, 2022 3:43 PM

Let the available video out ports on the M1 mini drive your monitor decision. The mini can use a quality HDMI 2.1 cable to the HDMI port on the monitor, or you can use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable (1.4), or even USB-C on the mini to USB-C on the monitor.

I have a 32-in LG 32UN880 4K UHD Ultrafine display connected to my M1 mini using a Belkin UltraHD High Speed 4K HDMI cable. Works like a charm, though no HDMI sound output to the display, and use Bluetooth headphones or speaker for audio.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 1, 2022 3:43 PM in response to Emdeeh2

Let the available video out ports on the M1 mini drive your monitor decision. The mini can use a quality HDMI 2.1 cable to the HDMI port on the monitor, or you can use a USB-C to DisplayPort cable (1.4), or even USB-C on the mini to USB-C on the monitor.

I have a 32-in LG 32UN880 4K UHD Ultrafine display connected to my M1 mini using a Belkin UltraHD High Speed 4K HDMI cable. Works like a charm, though no HDMI sound output to the display, and use Bluetooth headphones or speaker for audio.

Adding a display to a new Mac mini M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.