You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not access email with Thunderbird Email program

I have a Dell laptop I use to access my email for icloud. Recently I had to change my icloud password. Every since then Thunderbird can not access my email even though I have entered the new password.

It seems that apple now requires non apple apps to use two factor alternate passwords. I DO NOT want to have to have my phone next to me every time I want to check my email. What are my altrunatives?

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 8:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2022 8:55 AM

Apple requires app specific passwords, which don't have to be validated with a code sent to your phone, but you do have to have 2 Factor Authentication enabled on your Apple ID.

Apple ID - Using app-specific passwords

Go to iCloud.com/Mail using a browser and in the left panel at the top, click the gear symbol. Select Preferences and then go to Forwarding. Enter one of your other email addresses so your iCloud emails get forwarded to that address. Then check Delete after forwarding to remove the email from iCloud.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 11, 2022 8:55 AM in response to johnfr80504

Apple requires app specific passwords, which don't have to be validated with a code sent to your phone, but you do have to have 2 Factor Authentication enabled on your Apple ID.

Apple ID - Using app-specific passwords

Go to iCloud.com/Mail using a browser and in the left panel at the top, click the gear symbol. Select Preferences and then go to Forwarding. Enter one of your other email addresses so your iCloud emails get forwarded to that address. Then check Delete after forwarding to remove the email from iCloud.

Can not access email with Thunderbird Email program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.