You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Indenting text in a table

I use the keyboard shortcut Command+close bracket to indent text in a cell. But it indents too far. Can I change this so that each time I use this shortcut I get a smaller indent?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 5:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2022 6:59 AM

Two ways I know of. There may be more. I don't do a lot of special formatting so I'm not all that experienced with tab stops and all that. The first way below is probably the best.

In the format sidebar, in the Text tab, click on "layout". You can set the initial indent for a cell or column or selected range or randomly selected cells so you don't have to use Command ] (or Option Tab) for that initial indent. You can set the default spacing of tabs for those cells to a different value. You can set special tab stops for an individual cell but not a column or selection of cell all at once (as best I can tell).

In the View menu is "Show Rulers". With the ruler shown, double click in a cell like you are going to type in some text, and you can adjust tab positions and indents and add new tabs for that single cell. You can copy/paste that cell to other places or use Copy Style/Paste Style.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 1, 2022 6:59 AM in response to Listen Inn

Two ways I know of. There may be more. I don't do a lot of special formatting so I'm not all that experienced with tab stops and all that. The first way below is probably the best.

In the format sidebar, in the Text tab, click on "layout". You can set the initial indent for a cell or column or selected range or randomly selected cells so you don't have to use Command ] (or Option Tab) for that initial indent. You can set the default spacing of tabs for those cells to a different value. You can set special tab stops for an individual cell but not a column or selection of cell all at once (as best I can tell).

In the View menu is "Show Rulers". With the ruler shown, double click in a cell like you are going to type in some text, and you can adjust tab positions and indents and add new tabs for that single cell. You can copy/paste that cell to other places or use Copy Style/Paste Style.

Indenting text in a table

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.