You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does iCloud+ work for a phone with less storage?

I have an iPhone XR with 64 GB of storage, but I just bought iCloud+ with 200 GB of storage. Am I able to save photos to iCloud+ and delete them from my phone to free up space? Or are they connected to if I delete them from my phone they will also be deleted from iCloud+?

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 5:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2022 5:50 PM

No, you can’t do that. iCloud is a syncing service not a cloud archive. So anything you delete from the phone will also be removed from iCloud. What you can do is enable Optimize Phone Storage; this will save lower resolution, smaller copies of your photos on your phone, but maintain the full resolution in iCloud.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 5, 2022 5:50 PM in response to oddy_squid

No, you can’t do that. iCloud is a syncing service not a cloud archive. So anything you delete from the phone will also be removed from iCloud. What you can do is enable Optimize Phone Storage; this will save lower resolution, smaller copies of your photos on your phone, but maintain the full resolution in iCloud.

How does iCloud+ work for a phone with less storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.