You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air updates

I have been reading these for a while, trying to figure out how to update my Mac OS to the latest version I can update it to. But there is one problem. Whenever I try to update, it does not work. And there are no new versions of my Mac I can install, and I’ve been reading the ones for Mac OS X 10.9.5., because that is the version I have. I need some help because I’m so confused.

MacBook Air

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 8:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 1:59 PM

Ok, thanks! Your notebook is currently running the latest version OS X Mavericks (10.9.5) available. An Early 2014 MacBook Air should be capable of being upgraded all the way up to macOS Big Sur (11.x).

Ref: macOS Big Sur is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

Your notebook should be capable of updating directly to Big Sur from Mavericks. To do so will require that you download the Big Sur installer directly from Apple. Since Monterey is the currently latest version of macOS, Big Sur will be considered an "older" version, and the following Apple Support article provides you with the steps to get it.

The following article also covers the same topic. Just thought you may find it useful. Sort of a second opinion.

Regardless, one of the most important things to do BEFORE you upgrade is to make sure that you make a backup of your Mac's data ... just in case something goes awry.

One of our very knowledgeable forum members even created a tip on this whole process that is definitely worth reading.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 16, 2022 1:59 PM in response to Roxy_thepomsky

Ok, thanks! Your notebook is currently running the latest version OS X Mavericks (10.9.5) available. An Early 2014 MacBook Air should be capable of being upgraded all the way up to macOS Big Sur (11.x).

Ref: macOS Big Sur is compatible with these computers - Apple Support

Your notebook should be capable of updating directly to Big Sur from Mavericks. To do so will require that you download the Big Sur installer directly from Apple. Since Monterey is the currently latest version of macOS, Big Sur will be considered an "older" version, and the following Apple Support article provides you with the steps to get it.

The following article also covers the same topic. Just thought you may find it useful. Sort of a second opinion.

Regardless, one of the most important things to do BEFORE you upgrade is to make sure that you make a backup of your Mac's data ... just in case something goes awry.

One of our very knowledgeable forum members even created a tip on this whole process that is definitely worth reading.

MacBook Air updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.