You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to combine video clips

I had 20 years of video tapes digitalized and have imported to iMovie. My problem is, I need to be able to separate the clips. One half of each clip is one family, the other half is another family. I would like to be able to create a project with one-half of 20 clips and another project with the other half. What software would be best/easiest to use?

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 1:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 2:26 PM

iMovie can split the clips.

Create two projects. Open Project #1, and put all of your clips into Project #1 that eventually will contain the clips for Family #1. Locate the playhead at the point where you want to make a split, and then do a Modify/Split Clip to create a segment. Select a split segment that pertains to Family #2 and do an Edit/Copy of it. Open project #2 and do an Edit/Paste of the segment into the timeline. Repeat as necessary. When you are done you will have Project #1 containing all the segments pertaining to Family #1, and Project #2 containing all the segments pertaining to Family #2.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 25, 2022 2:26 PM in response to Pharmboy007

iMovie can split the clips.

Create two projects. Open Project #1, and put all of your clips into Project #1 that eventually will contain the clips for Family #1. Locate the playhead at the point where you want to make a split, and then do a Modify/Split Clip to create a segment. Select a split segment that pertains to Family #2 and do an Edit/Copy of it. Open project #2 and do an Edit/Paste of the segment into the timeline. Repeat as necessary. When you are done you will have Project #1 containing all the segments pertaining to Family #1, and Project #2 containing all the segments pertaining to Family #2.

-- Rich

How to combine video clips

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.