You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preferences not working

Every time I step away from my iMac for about 5 minutes it asks for my log in password. Below are my preference settings. I tried trashing the associated preference files and nothing changed. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks.

iMac Mid2007

OSX 10.11.6

P.S. I don't understand the security logic when I sign in to Apple with my Apple password and they send a 6 digit verication password to the same device that I'm signing in from. Besides the fact that I've signed in from this device hundreds of times and the message says "you are trying to sign in from a new device please enter the verification code we sent". Isn't the number supposed to be sent to another device, thereby creating some security.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 8:35 AM

2 replies

Sep 26, 2022 1:39 PM in response to tjk

Thanks a million TJK. I just did what you suggested and I'll check back to mark helpful and solved when I see the results.

I had no idea that setting was there. It was set to 30 minutes so I may have been exaggerating the 5 min. in my post. It seemed like 5 minutes. Saved me from reinstalling the OS.

Thanks again.

Preferences not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.