You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

time machine

I ran into a big problem.

My rigid backup scheme crashed due to two failing hard disks, about the same time.

A data recovery company recovered significant part of my data and I see the typical TimeMachine folder structure appearing (see screen dump 1).

Clicking thru to my folders looking for Photos-Libraries, I found them, see screen dump 2

Hopefully double clicking on these icons will start the photos app however with an error, see third attached picture from the screen.

No Worries just "show package content" in which I can't find any photo at all.

Desperate for help....

txs in advance

Henk

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 11:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2022 7:36 PM

You can try a few things:

Try dragging (copy, not move) the Photos Library backup file to the computer desktop. Then try to open it from Photos or double click it. I expect it won't work because the Photos Library is likely damaged.

Try Show Package Contents. A list of folders should appear. Look for the biggest one, it should be named Masters or Originals. Open that folder and see if any image files are in it. Even if the Photos Library file is damaged or corrupted, preventing it from being used with the Photos app, if the above folder is there and contains the image files, those are your images. You can create a new Photos Library and import those image files into the new Photos Library.

If one of the backups doesn't work this way, try another or several. You may eventually find an older backup that has recoverable files.

It is remotely possible that some or all of your image files are in some other folder, from whatever process the recovery service used. Try searching on that drive for all files with the following string

.jpg

or

.jpeg

and see where the files are that are located.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 12, 2022 7:36 PM in response to henkdo

You can try a few things:

Try dragging (copy, not move) the Photos Library backup file to the computer desktop. Then try to open it from Photos or double click it. I expect it won't work because the Photos Library is likely damaged.

Try Show Package Contents. A list of folders should appear. Look for the biggest one, it should be named Masters or Originals. Open that folder and see if any image files are in it. Even if the Photos Library file is damaged or corrupted, preventing it from being used with the Photos app, if the above folder is there and contains the image files, those are your images. You can create a new Photos Library and import those image files into the new Photos Library.

If one of the backups doesn't work this way, try another or several. You may eventually find an older backup that has recoverable files.

It is remotely possible that some or all of your image files are in some other folder, from whatever process the recovery service used. Try searching on that drive for all files with the following string

.jpg

or

.jpeg

and see where the files are that are located.

time machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.